The Student Room Group

Has anyone done bad on their GCSE mocks, but well on their actual exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ibby68
Thats actually insane.

I'd strongly recommend going onto youtube if you want to get good at maths, as channels like hegarty maths are super super helpful when it comes to improving your confidence. also I'm not sure if your school uses mathswatch but I used that and watched every single video in order to make myself better, and most importantly just remember than getting things wrong is a good thing as it forces you to really think hard, try again and then when you finally get it it's super satisfying!
I went from being a D to an A* student within about 6 months so there is nothing stopping you! if you don't understand how your teacher explains a topic, then go online and find someone who can explain it in a way that makes sense to you :biggrin:
Reply 21
Yep. I had a massive improvement in everything except literature.
Original post by fefssdf
I'd strongly recommend going onto youtube if you want to get good at maths, as channels like hegarty maths are super super helpful when it comes to improving your confidence. also I'm not sure if your school uses mathswatch but I used that and watched every single video in order to make myself better, and most importantly just remember than getting things wrong is a good thing as it forces you to really think hard, try again and then when you finally get it it's super satisfying!
I went from being a D to an A* student within about 6 months so there is nothing stopping you! if you don't understand how your teacher explains a topic, then go online and find someone who can explain it in a way that makes sense to you :biggrin:

Yeah I got a B at gcse maths currently doing A level maths. Ty for the advice.
Original post by ibby68
Yeah I got a B at gcse maths currently doing A level maths. Ty for the advice.

ahh thats good, hope it goes well for you!!
Original post by fefssdf
ahh thats good, hope it goes well for you!!

ty
Reply 25
Original post by burnout7
Can someone give me some examples, or inspiration, so I can try as well cause mine didn't go to well :frown:

I went from 4s and 5s in maths to an 8, 6/6 in science to a 8/7 (combined science) and from 7s and sometimes 6s to a 9 in citizenship.

Also, I started revising pretty late so if you start working as hard as possible from now on you could improve a lot! Be sure to ask ur teachers for help and do plenty of exam qs thats my main advice to you. good luck!!!
Original post by hudz1e
what did u do for science?

what do you mean?
Reply 27
Got 8777666654 in mocks in 2018, got 9999999987 in real thing, so the answer is yes, find where u went wrong and work ur socks off.
I got a 6 in my December mocks in physics then worked my butt off till exams and got a 9 in the real thing:smile:
I thought English literature would be the death of me. I barely scraped a 3 in my January mock, I realised that only I could change my grade so I started revising consistently rather than just for tests. in the real thing I got an 8, I cried so hard. I was ecstatic that I would never have to analyse a poem ever again :smile:
my friend got a 3 on her english lit mock, but a 9 on the real thing :smile: (this was through a lot of revision though, so stay motivated!)
Reply 31
Had mocks a month before the real thing. Went from 3 to 8 in Geography, and 4 to 7 in Maths
Reply 32
Original post by hxdzz_m
what do you mean?

as in how did u revise for science?
Original post by hudz1e
as in how did u revise for science?

i pretty much used mygcsescience and answered a whole load of exam questions pretty much
I got mainly Us and 3 in my Mick's and 7s in the real things. basically just use getting into sixth form/college/whatever as motivation do as best as you can. remember you can only do your best so at least try and show people (and yourself) your best !!
Here’s so inspiration for you ,I failed all of my mocks, only left school with two c’s , got one exam remarked making it up to three c’s retook my maths and English. Then found out I was dyslexic when I was 18 , left college with a distinction in fashion design and got an offer for a place on my dream course at university less than 24 hours after applying.Im currently in my third year doing my dissertation.Just goes to show that grades at school don’t stop you from doing anything !
Hiya, did my GCSE’s in 2018 and did awful in my mocks. Not in all of them, but got two U’s in both English Language and Literature as I just got very anxious. Come round to actual GCSEs and I still hadn’t sat a full English paper without having a freak out, so in the real papers they were technically my first full sit. Believe it or not, I got two 9s! Your mock grades don’t reflect your abilities at all; you will most likely be far more prepared for the real things. There’s still several months to go so you have plenty of time to prepare. Good luck!
Reply 37
I failed every mock but only failed one real exam and it was my fault for filling in the wrong geography questions So in English I was predicted a 2 so I worked my arse off in lesson for like 4 weeks and ended up with a level 7 in my real examSame with ICT I was predicted a u but got a BAlso history I was predicted a U but with luck got a 5I'd recommend revising as I didnt and was very lucky thoGood luck you'll smash it
I found that my school's mock papers were significantly harder than the actual GCSEs. With the exception of one subject, my grades increased in every subject. I got a C in my History mock and then an A* in the real thing. I did separate sciences and at mocks got 5s in all 3 then 2 9s and an 8 in the real thing. In terms of inspiration I think that so long as you care about the exams and the results you're going to work harder for them and for longer than you did for mocks. I started full-on revision at the start of Easter holidays. Good luck!
Original post by burnout7
Can someone give me some examples, or inspiration, so I can try as well cause mine didn't go to well :frown:

I got a 3 in my GCSE English Literature mock in April and somehow got a 9 in the actual GCSE. Don’t give up just because you aren’t where you want to be!

Quick Reply

Latest