The Student Room Group

Administrative Officer NICS Competition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sunny Delight
What is that? Child maintenance? I am in two minds about whether to accept the UC post to be honest. I don't know anyone in the NICS so kind of hoping someone can enlighten me on here. By the same token getting your foot in the door- starting salary is what 21k a year. I am 34 so plenty of time to move up. I don't know but from this forum I see plenty rise fast despite starting as an admin officer. Oh and for Pixie I was placed 1160 or something like that.

Yeah, Child Maintenance Services. In fairness I'd heard this is the worst role in the NICS so I guess the only way is up. Apparently you have to be in the role for a year before you can transfer, and I assume there's no guarantee of that either.
Original post by buzz8193
I was approximately 2200 on the merit list and started late July of this year. However I am in CMS which I knew nothing about, unfortunately it's just the renamed CSA.. which I have heard plenty about. Long story short I'd give my left leg for a transfer.

I’m currently in CMS as agency, waiting to be placed as permanent
Original post by Pixie111
I’m currently in CMS as agency, waiting to be placed as permanent

What dept? How long have you been there and how're you finding it?
Original post by buzz8193
What dept? How long have you been there and how're you finding it?

I like it, been there almost 4 years, been in a few different areas
Hi, Sunny Delight. I work in UC (not in Derry though) and it is fine. As an AO you will probably be a Case Manager dealing with UC claims. A lot of CM work is very straightforward and the system does a lot of the work for you in the background. You will also have to do the phones but only one three-hour shift a week. This could change to 2 three hour shifts if it gets busier though.
Original post by DeusExfan
Hi, Sunny Delight. I work in UC (not in Derry though) and it is fine. As an AO you will probably be a Case Manager dealing with UC claims. A lot of CM work is very straightforward and the system does a lot of the work for you in the background. You will also have to do the phones but only one three-hour shift a week. This could change to 2 three hour shifts if it gets busier though.

Thanks for the reply. Case Manager of people's claims then, do you have to deal with people face to face or is it their applications come through the system so you then either pass or reject it? What is the starting salary in NICS at AO level as I have seen three different figures.
Original post by Sunny Delight
Thanks for the reply. Case Manager of people's claims then, do you have to deal with people face to face or is it their applications come through the system so you then either pass or reject it? What is the starting salary in NICS at AO level as I have seen three different figures.

You don't deal with people face to face. Once someone claims UC their case will be assigned to a case manager. The CM will deal with the claim and claimant going forward. All UC claims are on an online system. The claimant can send their CM an online message very easily or vice versa. If a claimant is required to look for work they will have a work coach (EO2 role) assigned to them that would (pre-pandemic) often deal with the claimant face to face (for work search reviews etc.) At the moment WC's tend to do this stuff over the phone with the claimant. Most CM's eventually have anything from 400-700 cases to manage. Don't worry though it's easier than it seems. Most of the CM's I speak to have done most of the work they can do each day by about 2 or 3 pm. There is a lot of waiting around on claimants sending stuff or landlords or the Housing Executive verifying stuff.

New AO's salary starts at £21,370 and eventually due to length of service can go up to £23,483. Honestly I thought UC would be a terrible area to work when it comes to the NICS but it a lot better than I expected. Most people love it. The only down side is doing the phones but TBF 3 hours a week is nothing.
I've also been offered a post in Child Maintenance Services and like yourself I scored in the 2000s. I've also heard lots of negative things about CMS and was wondering how you find the role in reality as I note that you would love a transfer? Is the role office based at present or are staff working from home like many other departments given the Covid situation?
Original post by Aero555
I've also been offered a post in Child Maintenance Services and like yourself I scored in the 2000s. I've also heard lots of negative things about CMS and was wondering how you find the role in reality as I note that you would love a transfer? Is the role office based at present or are staff working from home like many other departments given the Covid situation?

Any people starting out are office based
Any people starting out are office based

Thank you. That's useful to know.
Reply 110
Anyone participating in the current competition for AO, how did you find the online tests?
More emails sent out today regarding the list for this competition
More emails sent out today regarding the list for this competition

Pixie is there any word on the E02 competition? I placed in the mid 2000's in the tests. Assuming it will be quite a while before they get to me lol
Original post by Itscoldoutside
Pixie is there any word on the E02 competition? I placed in the mid 2000's in the tests. Assuming it will be quite a while before they get to me lol

I placed in 1300s for eo2, heard they did some more interviews this week but still haven’t got to my number yet
Hi just wondering if anybody can help me, I got an email a few weeks ago to say I am now suitable for appointment (AO position) and had to send all my details and do an access NI which is cleared, it has been posted to my house…do I need to send this on to them or do I keep it? Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Emzd90
Hi just wondering if anybody can help me, I got an email a few weeks ago to say I am now suitable for appointment (AO position) and had to send all my details and do an access NI which is cleared, it has been posted to my house…do I need to send this on to them or do I keep it? Thanks

As far as I remember the Access NI is sent automatically to NICS HR. You can request a hard copy which is then posted to you.
anyone know the process for offers?

Recieved pre placement letter 5 weeks ago for E02, on Reddit thread everyone seemed to get offeds after 3 weeks. Rang today and they said checks all complete but not placed yet so just to wait as they couldn’t give any estimates. I find the whole recruitment so strange, why have I received a pre placement letter if I am going to have to wait weeks or months?
I am starting next Monday in UC in Belfast, does anyone know how long training usually is? Also is the role completely office based or any opportunity to work from home? Thanks
UC training is around 13 days with a consolidation period afterwards. Congratulations on your job offer. Do you know what section of UC you will be working in? Working from Home arrangements differ from office to office
If it's the Service Centre in CastleCourt I can ask a few mates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending