what does it mean if someone says you have a palatable personality? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
this guy I've been speaking to online was complimenting me and that's what he said.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
this guy I've been speaking to online was complimenting me and that's what he said.
That he is a tool.

Painfully awkward turn of phrase. Not promising imo.
karelina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think he's straight.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by karelina)
I don't think he's straight.
lol hes trying to be nice. he knows I dont want a relationship we are just friends. but he is straight as they come
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
lol hes trying to be nice. he knows I dont want a relationship we are just friends. but he is straight as they come
He is either very inexperienced at talking to people or he is a tool or both.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It means you have a tolerable personality. He clearly doesn't have a high opinion of either women or people in general.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
It means you have a tolerable personality. He clearly doesn't have a high opinion of either women or people in general.
how does one get all this from one line he has said. you guys are just being mean now lol
karelina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
He kinda sounds like hannibal lecter, stay safe.
Anonymous #1
Basically we were reflecting on when we first started talking. because I honestly didnt expect to become good friends with him. I found him quite intimidating at first. and he mentioned "... besides you have a very olatable personality" following up from that I mentioned what kept me speaking to him. What it is that sets him apart from others online because I dont usually do online friends, so I basically went into his personality and all that and he was really happy with what I said about him mentioning he is smiling so hard right now and how flattered he was , so i asked why and this is what he said

"I don't get compliments, like genuine compliments. People will say hollow things like "you're smart and handsome", so yeah it's a big deal and it makes me very happy, but I'm mature enough not to fall in love with you on the spot"

if you guys want some context lol
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is one of the weirdest things I've heard someone say to a girl.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
how does one get all this from one line he has said. you guys are just being mean now lol
Because it sounds condescending - "you have nice personality" is a compliment , "you have a palatable personality" sounds almost insulting.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
Because it sounds condescending - "you have nice personality" is a compliment , "you have a palatable personality" sounds almost insulting.
it's really that odd? I mean the exact words he said were "you have a very platable personality" if that makes any difference. he has mentioned I'm a pleasant person to speak to before.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Because the turn of phrase is so unnatural it is cringeworthy and awkward. Only a tool or someone lacking any form of awareness would use that phrase.

What is wrong with saying he really enjoys your company, you are easy to talk to, you make him laugh, he likes spending time with you or talking to you?
Last edited by 999tigger; 4 weeks ago
Sataris
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
He wants to palate your personailty, if you know what I mean
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Because the turn of phrase is so unnatural it is cringeworthy and awkward. Only a tool or someone lacking any form of awareness would use that phrase.

What is wrong with saying he really enjoys your company, you are easy to talk to, you make him laugh, he likes spending time with you or talking to you?
You have a point there. other words would probably have been a better choice but I dont think hes lacking in awareness. He's pretty smart, this is the first time he's said something where I was like "what does that mean?" and I've been speaking to him for a few months now
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
You have a point there. other words would probably have been a better choice but I dont think hes lacking in awareness. He's pretty smart, this is the first time he's said something where I was like "what does that mean?" and I've been speaking to him for a few months now
He is otherwise he wouldnt have used the phrase. Book smart doesnt - common sense or social skills. Book smart into social skills without an adjustment = tool. It shows his limitations and lack of awareness. Maybe he meant it in a kind way and if it flatters you then take it that way. reminds me of a tea or food taster where someone says it palatable and not posioned or they spit it out.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
He is otherwise he wouldnt have used the phrase. Book smart doesnt - common sense or social skills. Book smart into social skills without an adjustment = tool. It shows his limitations and lack of awareness. Maybe he meant it in a kind way and if it flatters you then take it that way. reminds me of a tea or food taster where someone says it palatable and not posioned or they spit it out.
What do you think about the explanation where I gave more context on what he said? I actually think you give quite good advice lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads