cobaltskies20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Should I do A-Level Art as a 4th A-Level? I’ve recently started really enjoying art much more this year (year 11) and I think I want to do it as a 4th a-level.
In my school they expect you to do three and want people to do four a-levels so I am considering doing A-level art as a fourth A-level with Maths, Chemistry and Biology.
I know these other A-levels are really difficult too but I really want to keep my art options open so should I choose it? Thanks
Last edited by cobaltskies20; 10 months ago
gbemicherish
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It’s definitely possible but I think you should be aware that it could be quite difficult to find time for unless you’ve got good time management skills. My friend is doing art as her fourth a level and because it involves so much work she ended up dropping another subject and I think part of that was so she had more time for art. Again, if you can handle it (and have organised gcse art well in terms of time management) then I’d say go for it
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
ALEVEL art requires so much of your time. I did it as one of my main three ALEVELs, and EVERY free period I had was spent in the Art rooms, with all other subjects having to be done at home (as well assome extra art).
I ended up with 3 A1 portfolios ranging from 1 to 6 inches thick, and I ended up with a C overall. Despite all the time I put in I needed to do even more.
So unless you work incredibly fast and are very experienced doing art (i'd done the GCSE too and also spent all my free time on art to get an A) i'd advise against it.
Siobha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by princetonalec)
ALEVEL art requires so much of your time. I did it as one of my main three ALEVELs, and EVERY free period I had was spent in the Art rooms, with all other subjects having to be done at home (as well assome extra art).
I ended up with 3 A1 portfolios ranging from 1 to 6 inches thick, and I ended up with a C overall. Despite all the time I put in I needed to do even more.
So unless you work incredibly fast and are very experienced doing art (i'd done the GCSE too and also spent all my free time on art to get an A) i'd advise against it.
I second this. To achieve a high grade in art you have to work HARD on it from the moment you step into year 12. I'm in year 13 and do biology, maths and art, and art has been the biggest struggle of all despite getting an 8 in it at GCSE. The mark scheme is incredibly subjective and, to my knowledge, teaching quality can be rather variable too. Also, if you have any struggles with mental health or with your home life I would strongly recommend against it as several of my friends who do that took a level art are now having to take year 14 to catch up.

Overall, I think art a level will severely compromise either your mental health or performance in other subjects if taken as a 4th a level. Don't make this decision lightly, as I did!!
Last edited by Siobha; 9 months ago
Kerrisbailey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Art is very time consuming.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
30.97%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.26%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.03%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.45%

Watched Threads