What constitutes a 'prestigious' University? Watch

SQAMong
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
What would you consider 'prestigious'? Is it how good the city looks, or how well the university does for research? This is a particular issue in the United Kingdom, where high performing Universities are shunned for being in areas with bad associations.

I may speak in a bias manner through me being a Scot; but universities such as Glasgow, are very underestimated. It's a city known for crime, and junkies. Yet, it is a university that has produced many Nobel laureates, three Prime Ministers, and is the fourth oldest University in all of the United Kingdom. It is harder to get into Glasgow for Law and Medicine, than it is for Oxford going by entry standards, but to no positive avail.

So then why is it that Glasgow, and several other universities in the same circumstance, aren't deemed as prestigious as others?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SQAMong)
What would you consider 'prestigious'? Is it how good the city looks, or how well the university does for research? This is a particular issue in the United Kingdom, where high performing Universities are shunned for being in areas with bad associations.

I may speak in a bias manner through me being a Scot; but universities such as Glasgow, are very underestimated. It's a city known for crime, and junkies. Yet, it is a university that has produced many Nobel laureates, three Prime Ministers, and is the fourth oldest University in all of the United Kingdom. It is harder to get into Glasgow for Law and Medicine, than it is for Oxford going by entry standards, but to no positive avail.

So then why is it that Glasgow, and several other universities in the same circumstance, aren't deemed as prestigious as others?
it's 75% selectivity and 25% research power, or thereabouts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?