Think my boyfriend is addicted to weed, what do I do? Watch

Cassie101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’ve been with my boyfriend for 7 months now and I knew he smoked a joint every now and then but since spending more time together the past few months and staying over at his a lot I’ve realised that he smokes it everyday and always has it before bed, 2 months ago he stopped going to uni and work because his anxiety and depression got so bad but now all he does all day is stay in the house and smoke weed, he’s too anxious to go outside so we can’t go on dates properly anymore, he’s on antidepressants now and is planning to see a counsellor but he’s been taking more weed lately which I feel is the reason for his anxiety and it worries me, what should I do?
Last edited by Cassie101; 4 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cassie101)
So I’ve been with my boyfriend for 7 months now and I knew he smoked a joint every now and then but since spending more time together the past few months and staying over at his a lot I’ve realised that he smokes it everyday and always has it before bed, 2 months ago he stopped going to uni and work because his anxiety and depression got so bad but now all he does all day is stay in the house and smoke weed, he’s too anxious to go outside so we can’t go on dates properly anymore, he’s on antidepressants now and is planning to see a counsellor but he’s been taking more weed lately which I feel is the reason for his anxiety and it worries me, what should I do?
You can talk to him, but it is likely:
He wont listen.
He will listen but carry on.

I think its a decision he has to make on his own . Talking to an expert may assist him with that decision.
He may actively reject anything you say as part of denial.

Long and the short theres a limited amount you can do and dont fret. You will then have to weigh up that after your efforts you want to stay with him or move on to someone with less baggage. There should be a limit to what is a sensible amount of energy to expend.

Some information here
https://www.itv.com/thismorning/youn...rugs-helplines
https://www.priorygroup.com/addictio...ction-symptoms
https://www.ukat.co.uk/cannabis-addiction/
Last edited by 999tigger; 4 weeks ago
Zain_Ahmed
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
" I think my boyfriend is addicted to weed, what do I do?".... Leave him...
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Dump him if he does not agree to a date for goung for counselling. Don't accept his excuses for being dysfunctional. The weed is obviously clouding his judgement! Don't continue a relationship journey with someone who has this attitude to life and who is unwilling to prove that they are taking concrete steps to change and improve. Otherwise he will simply drain you emotionally and probably financially as well!
Treeroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is not much you can do other than encourage him to have some counseling. Maybe find out what your local drug treatment service is, and contact them asking for advice ?
Chlomitch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I used to do the exact same. About 4/5 years ago I was constantly smoking weed, all day every day. I did it because I truly believed that it was helping me relax. Over time, I began getting anxious and I would just smoke more weed because I thought it would make me feel less anxious. I continued this cycle for ages. Eventually I became depressed, very very depressed. I didn’t ever think it was because of the weed. My anxiety got so bad that I didn’t want to leave the house. It got so bad that smoking weed made it worse and would cause me to have panic attacks. I didn’t really know what I was experiencing was a panic attack so I carried on smoking. It was only a few months later when I had literally the worst panic attack I’ve ever had, and my boyfriend had to call an ambulance because I was absolutely convinced I was having a heart attack. The paramedics told me it was a panic attack but no lie this panic attack lasted nearly 3 hours. After that I stopped smoking weed for a while. I tried to smoke it a few times after that but every time it just made me have another panic attack. What was once enjoyable to me now triggered anxiety for me.

What I will say is that your boyfriend will likely deny it’s the weed causing his depression/anxiety, because he will likely think it’s helping him. The problem is, he won’t see the reality for himself until he’s ready to. You can try and talk to him, it’s always worth a shot. However I will say if he’s in denial, you’re better off breaking up with him. Because the effects it will have on you will drain you over time. I hope you figure things out x
Last edited by Chlomitch; 4 weeks ago
Yochahine
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
try to talk to him
francescamarieaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
don't force him to stop it will make him want to do it more, weed isn't bad i am personally a user of it but the way he is going about it weed is probably not suitable for his mental state. sit down and mention the fact you are worried about him but reassure him he can always go to you.
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sounds like he has bigger problems than just the weed use, don't expect him giving up weed to be a magic cure all, it may even be counter productive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.54%
No (268)
33.46%

Watched Threads