The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Query regarding changing my course

Hello all,
I applied for Mathematics and Physics joint degree at University of St Andrews for direct entry into second year, but I want to change it to BSc Physics with point of entry 2. Should I contact them? Will I be given equal consideration since it'd be after the deadline?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Randomguy200
Hello all,
I applied for Mathematics and Physics joint degree at University of St Andrews for direct entry into second year, but I want to change it to BSc Physics with point of entry 2. Should I contact them? Will I be given equal consideration since it'd be after the deadline?

this wouldn't make too much difference - you would still have to do physics and maths modules in Year 2 but then you would be able to drop maths before Year 3 and 4.

it's a pity so many maths/physics students choose direct entry though as the freshers year is a relatively chilled year that is a good experience
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I am an international and would very much like to save a year worth of tuituon fee if I could.
If I contact the uni directly and request to change my course, do you think I will be disadvantaged. Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by Randomguy200
I am an international and would very much like to save a year worth of tuituon fee if I could.
If I contact the uni directly and request to change my course, do you think I will be disadvantaged. Any help would be appreciated.

You'll be spending the same number of years either way (3 years) as long as you take direct entry (and I encourage you to). "Point of entry 2 = direct entry". If you're on the integrated masters programme, then it is 4 years (instead of the usual 5).

If you're looking to change from the Masters to the BSc (assuming direct entry, 4 to 3 years), you can indeed just contact the university. If you're unsure on whether you want to switch, I suggest that you actually stick with the Integrated Masters (unless you are sure), as while it is straightforward to switch after you get in (just talk with your advisor), it isn't the other way round (as you'll have to extend your Tier 4 visa).
Original post by Leaderboard
You'll be spending the same number of years either way (3 years) as long as you take direct entry (and I encourage you to). "Point of entry 2 = direct entry". If you're on the integrated masters programme, then it is 4 years (instead of the usual 5).

If you're looking to change from the Masters to the BSc (assuming direct entry, 4 to 3 years), you can indeed just contact the university. If you're unsure on whether you want to switch, I suggest that you actually stick with the Integrated Masters (unless you are sure), as while it is straightforward to switch after you get in (just talk with your advisor), it isn't the other way round (as you'll have to extend your Tier 4 visa).

This is really good advice, especially the bit about visas!

It's normally possible to change all the way up to honours entry (when you start Year 3 of the programme), so you should still be able to change your mind later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending