HarrietL16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi guys!!! Please, please please could someone state the A-level English Literature AOs for essays (AQA) in words I can understand because when I read what each one asks you to do on the AQA website it honestly just confuses me.
Thank you x
Kelseykelsey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by HarrietL16)
Hi guys!!! Please, please please could someone state the A-level English Literature AOs for essays (AQA) in words I can understand because when I read what each one asks you to do on the AQA website it honestly just confuses me.
Thank you x
Hi! ao1 is using terms and concepts. ao2 is basically what are the effects of the terms/concepts. ao3 is context. ao4 is making comparisons between the texts. ao5 is critics. i hope this helped !!
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The AOs are identical across all specifications at A Level, so I can still tell you what each assessment objective means despite the fact that my exams are with OCR. I'll try to explain it as simply as I can.

AO1: the ability to write a logical argument that also uses an appropriate level of formality that is expected in academic writing. You should have sufficient knowledge of the plot, settings, themes and characters to convincingly prove why you feel a certain way about a text (e.g. the reasoning behind your disapproval of the protagonist's actions).
AO2: the ability to analyse language, structure and form with correct terminology. It's incredibly similar to the AO2 you would have seen at GCSE.
AO3: the ability to show what impact context has on a text, especially on both the writer and the audiences (back when the text was first published and in today's society). ‘Context’ can be seen as the expectations and norms in a society or details of a writer's life.
AO4: the ability to compare texts in a way that makes them look like you have combined them in the essay, so that your writing flows. For example, if you cover a point about female empowerment in one paragraph, make sure that both texts are mentioned and compared in that paragraph with examples of female empowerment from each text.
AO5: your ability to use critics to help your argument when interpreting a text (e.g. if you include a scholar's quote about a character being violent, use examples of how that character may be violent in an essay). As well as professional literary critics, some other AO5 sources could be a director of a movie adaptation, an actor or a historian. Sometimes, it is also good to use critical interpretations of a text across a long period of time because a view of a text in the 1800s may be quite different to a view of a text in the 21st century because of changes in society. You may also want to include different schools of reading, as a text interpreted by a Marxist critic will likely differ from the interpretation of a feminist critic.
Last edited by Tolgash; 9 months ago
HarrietL16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
The AOs are identical across all specifications at A Level, so I can still tell you what each assessment objective means despite the fact that my exams are with OCR. I'll try to explain it as simply as I can.

AO1: the ability to write a logical argument that also uses an appropriate level of formality that is expected in academic writing. You should have sufficient knowledge of the plot, settings, themes and characters to convincingly prove why you feel a certain way about a text (e.g. the reasoning behind your disapproval of the protagonist's actions).
AO2: the ability to analyse language, structure and form with correct terminology. It's incredibly similar to the AO2 you would have seen at GCSE.
AO3: the ability to show what impact context has on a text, especially on both the writer and the audiences (back when the text was first published and in today's society). ‘Context’ can be seen as the expectations and norms in a society or details of a writer's life.
AO4: the ability to compare texts in a way that makes them look like you have combined them in the essay, so that your writing flows. For example, if you cover a point about female empowerment in one paragraph, make sure that both texts are mentioned and compared in that paragraph with examples of female empowerment from each text.
AO5: your ability to use critics to help your argument when interpreting a text (e.g. if you include a scholar's quote about a character being violent, use examples of how that character may be violent in an essay). As well as professional literary critics, some other AO5 sources could be a director of a movie adaptation, an actor or a historian. Sometimes, it is also good to use critical interpretations of a text across a long period of time because a view of a text in the 1800s may be quite different to a view of a text in the 21st century because of changes in society. You may also want to include different schools of reading, as a text interpreted by a Marxist critic will likely differ from the interpretation of a feminist critic.
Thank you thank you thankyou xx
HarrietL16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kelseykelsey)
Hi! ao1 is using terms and concepts. ao2 is basically what are the effects of the terms/concepts. ao3 is context. ao4 is making comparisons between the texts. ao5 is critics. i hope this helped !!
Thank you so much I appreciate your help xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (573)
34.33%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (687)
41.16%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
20.01%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.49%

Watched Threads