I don't want to go to university Watch

osteranon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys!

I've been home-schooled all my life. I turn 15 soon and have made the decision I don't want to go to university. My parents want me to go but I don't know to tell them. I need to tell them by next year, before they start enrolling me in University units and preparation courses like my sister does. I'm not sure what young adults do instead of uni in the UK, but here in Australia we have TAFE. It prepares you for jobs and has courses to help you equip yourself with the skills required. It honestly is exactly what I want to do. I don't care about being successful... I just want a job i don't mind doing and pays! If it's really such a bad choice, then why do so many people skip uni?

Please give me your input on this decision! Anything helps!
Ruth9764
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly, just do what you want. If you feel like university isn’t for you then don’t go, it’ll be a waste of you’re time. In England we have Degree Apprenticeships instead of uni that can get you the exact same degrees as you would at uni but more on the job training. I’m not sure what TAFE is because I don’t live in Australia but it sounds similar to Degree Apprenticeships so if you want to do that you should go for. Not everybody suits university so (I repeat) just do what you know is going to right for you. Make sure you do a lot of research before hand, though just in case
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You do you. At the end of the day it is your life and not that of your parents that you must live.
I've popped your thread into Advice on everyday issues :fyi:
osteranon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you for the advice guys! I really appreciate it
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by osteranon)
Hi guys!

I've been home-schooled all my life. I turn 15 soon and have made the decision I don't want to go to university. My parents want me to go but I don't know to tell them. I need to tell them by next year, before they start enrolling me in University units and preparation courses like my sister does. I'm not sure what young adults do instead of uni in the UK, but here in Australia we have TAFE. It prepares you for jobs and has courses to help you equip yourself with the skills required. It honestly is exactly what I want to do. I don't care about being successful... I just want a job i don't mind doing and pays! If it's really such a bad choice, then why do so many people skip uni?

Please give me your input on this decision! Anything helps!
If you know you don't want to go to university, then don't! You can always apply later on in life if it doesn't work out. You shouldn't be forced into doing something you don't want to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (44)
24.31%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
26.52%
No (89)
49.17%

Watched Threads