Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys, I recently got a medicine offer for Cambridge with grade requirements A*A*A for Bio, Chem, Maths in any order. I am doing an EPQ, but it is not a part of my offer.

Now, completing my EPQ will take another 2-3 weeks which I would much rather spend starting revision for my A-Levels, so essentially I'd like to drop EPQ. However, I entered an EPQ predicted grade of A onto my UCAS and briefly mentioned it in my personal statement. I contacted my college by phone yesterday to see if they'd let me not complete it and they told me that I would need to ask them by e-mail, but I am a bit afraid to send the e-mail asking if i can drop EPQ, as I have a hunch they may think it shows I'm lazy and so they may revoke my offer (which I believe is within their rights).

Could somebody please advise me on what to do? I'd really rather not complete the project, but getting my offer revoked would be a nightmare.

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
also sorry that it's in the wrong sub-forum but I wanted to ask this anonymously
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys, I recently got a medicine offer for Cambridge with grade requirements A*A*A for Bio, Chem, Maths in any order. I am doing an EPQ, but it is not a part of my offer.

Now, completing my EPQ will take another 2-3 weeks which I would much rather spend starting revision for my A-Levels, so essentially I'd like to drop EPQ. However, I entered an EPQ predicted grade of A onto my UCAS and briefly mentioned it in my personal statement. I contacted my college by phone yesterday to see if they'd let me not complete it and they told me that I would need to ask them by e-mail, but I am a bit afraid to send the e-mail asking if i can drop EPQ, as I have a hunch they may think it shows I'm lazy and so they may revoke my offer (which I believe is within their rights).

Could somebody please advise me on what to do? I'd really rather not complete the project, but getting mty offer revoked would be a nightmare.

Thanks in advance.
you'll have to send the email I'm afraid, but phrase it as you are considering it not that you will definitely do so.
TCL
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They can't revoke the offer. Just ask if you can drop the EPQ.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MedicPls)
thank you for the response, but do you think they would revoke my offer? I can't really justify it in any way other than the fact that the write-up is the longest part and is extremely boring
it's possible.
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't forget to also check with any other med schools you have offers for. The offer is a contract based on all you have told them so far, including your EPQ in your UCAS application. If you change anything without their agreement they can withdraw your offer.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TCL)
They can't revoke the offer. Just ask if you can drop the EPQ.
They can if the OP drops their epq without Cambridge's approval.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Could somebody please advise me on what to do? I'd really rather not complete the project, but getting my offer revoked would be a nightmare.

Thanks in advance.
Is there any way of emailing anonymously? Can one of your parents do it (preferably if they have a different surname to you)?

But, to be honest, if you only need 2 more weeks to finish your EPQ, just do it. If it's not in your offer, it doesn't have to be amazing.
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
They can if the OP drops their epq without Cambridge's approval.
To clarify, I meant they can't revoke the offer because you ask them if you can drop the EPQ. Yes, if you dropped the EPQ without permission, then they could revoke.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TCL)
To clarify, I meant they can't revoke the offer because you ask them if you can drop the EPQ. Yes, if you dropped the EPQ without permission, then they could revoke.
Understood.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No university will revoke your offer for asking if you can drop an EPQ, but they are within their rights to say that you cannot. You must consult all the universities you are holding offers from before you make your final decision on whether to continue with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (144)
60.25%
Yes- I don't like it (11)