The Student Room Group

Chemistry A-Level

Which one of the following would not be affected by boiling with aqueous sodium hydroxide?

A ethyl ethanoate
B glycerol
C olive oil
D propanoic acid

Can someone please explain why the answer is B :smile:
Original post by tessa752
Which one of the following would not be affected by boiling with aqueous sodium hydroxide?

A ethyl ethanoate
B glycerol
C olive oil
D propanoic acid

Can someone please explain why the answer is B :smile:

Put simply Glycerol is an alcohol. Alcohols don't react with strong bases. Do I need to explain further or is that sufficient?
Reply 2
Original post by Muhammad Razak
Put simply Glycerol is an alcohol. Alcohols don't react with strong bases. Do I need to explain further or is that sufficient?

Thanks for your explanation. Is there a reason why alcohols don't react with strong bases?
Thanks for your explanation. Is there a reason why alcohols don't react with strong bases?

My guess would be that as some alcohols which are polar, due to the presence of the OH group. When the number of carbon atoms in the chain increases the polarity decreases as the effect of OH group is reduced. So as in NaOH there are strong electrostatic forces of attraction between the cation and anion in NaOH the forces are too strong to be broken by the polarity of the alcohol. As a result the alcohol doesn't dissolve.

I just realised that another way to think of it is that the Ka value of alcohols is lower than that of phenols and carboxylic acids. Thus it dissociates less H+ in a reaction with a base. It's therefore not reactive enough to produce enough H+ in a reaction with NaOH to produce a product.
Reply 5
Original post by Muhammad Razak
I just realised that another way to think of it is that the Ka value of alcohols is lower than that of phenols and carboxylic acids. Thus it dissociates less H+ in a reaction with a base. It's therefore not reactive enough to produce enough H+ in a reaction with NaOH to produce a product.

Thank you :smile:
Thank you :smile:

Np. Happy to help. R u A2 Chemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest