Relationship struggles Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Right so there's this boy I've always liked and we've spoken before but never actually progressed things. When I'm talking 'like' this boy like literally It's fate or something because we have so many things in common, some of my family know his and i just really feel it would work well. Only thing is the age, I'm 17 (18 in november) and he's 18 turning 19 in april and I feel like my dad is not going to respond to that well. I dont know what to do.
ShaunT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That doesn't sound like a big age difference (or even different life stages) especially until April, so if you're concerned it'd be best to be going out with him before his 19th birthday. Can't see your Dad objecting to a one year difference (or two for that matter...).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ShaunT)
That doesn't sound like a big age difference (or even different life stages) especially until April, so if you're concerned it'd be best to be going out with him before his 19th birthday. Can't see your Dad objecting to a one year difference (or two for that matter...).
I completely agree It's not a major age gap and it's a weird age 17 when you're on the brink of adult life, learning to drive and wanting to go out and what not lol. I think what it is he's just very overprotective which is quite common from fathers which I can understand. I was going to do that, either progress things before his birthday or continue talking until I'm 18. Honestly, I am dreading being 18 with such an overprotective dad haha oh dear... Thank you for your input!
ShaunT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, 17, I remember it well! Especially learning to drive (but be careful; when I passed I just ended up driving my friends from pub to party to home etc...). Good luck learning, and passing.

Sorry to hear he's so overprotective, but hopefully you can work something out that you'll both be happy with, especially as the man you fancy seems to be something of a family friend. And also hopefully you'll be off to University before the end of next year so at least then you'll have more freedom. Good luck!
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is the guy shy?
If you want to go out with him, you can always make that clear to him by directly asking if he is single and if so whether he wants to go on a date with you.

But it is a risky strategy.
There is always the possibility that he may not be interested or looking to get into a relationship.
You probably won't need to involve your father or even want to ask for his opinion on any of the guys you decide to date.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ShaunT)
Yes, 17, I remember it well! Especially learning to drive (but be careful; when I passed I just ended up driving my friends from pub to party to home etc...). Good luck learning, and passing.

Sorry to hear he's so overprotective, but hopefully you can work something out that you'll both be happy with, especially as the man you fancy seems to be something of a family friend. And also hopefully you'll be off to University before the end of next year so at least then you'll have more freedom. Good luck!
Yes, thank you so much! I'm sure it will work out in the end
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Is the guy shy?
If you want to go out with him, you can always make that clear to him by directly asking if he is single and if so whether he wants to go on a date with you.

There is always the possibility that he may not be interested or looking to get into a relationship.
You probably won't need to involve your father or even want to ask for his opinion on any of the guys you decide to date.
Yes, he is quite shy or perhaps not the best when it comes to relationships. He hasn't really had a proper girlfriend. It is quite clear we both want to date, we've met before and I have met his mum. It's just my dad really that I'm concerned about, I feel like I have to sneak about due to him not liking the age difference if you understand? Thank you for your help
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Is the guy shy?
What's the worst that can happen? He turns her down and she's no worse off, right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (364)
67.03%
No (179)
32.97%

Watched Threads