PhD Interview in Immunology - Asked to review a paper, help!

Watch
Hogthoughts
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was invited to a few PhD interviews, 2 have asked me to review a paper and I am particularly nervous about this aspect of the interview. I am just wondering how I could possibly do well on being asked on questions about their work which they are experts in?
I could really do with some tips and advice and for anyone who has been asked to review a paper what questions d they tend to ask regarding the paper?
I am assuming it cannot be too technical as I am an undergraduate and they're the experts, but again they've asked me to do a critical review on the paper so it could go either way.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hogthoughts)
I was invited to a few PhD interviews, 2 have asked me to review a paper and I am particularly nervous about this aspect of the interview. I am just wondering how I could possibly do well on being asked on questions about their work which they are experts in?
I could really do with some tips and advice and for anyone who has been asked to review a paper what questions d they tend to ask regarding the paper?
I am assuming it cannot be too technical as I am an undergraduate and they're the experts, but again they've asked me to do a critical review on the paper so it could go either way.
They aren't asking you to refute the results, they are asking you to look at the pro's and cons of how the author went about the piece of work. So things like

Have they shown why the research was worthwhile to do?
Have they justified their methods?
What alternative methods could they have used and what would be the benefits?
Have they used the right tools, or could they have done something else and learnt more?
Is their assessment correct?
Could they have presented the results in a different/better way?
Have they actually answered the research question they set?

Then on the more professional side
Did they publish in the right journal?
Have they properly acknowledged all support, funding etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (65)
32.83%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27.27%
No (52)
26.26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.64%

Watched Threads