I’m gonna get a Criminal record or fined aren’t I? TfL Bus evasion twice in 6 mths Watch

Quiet Benin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am so ****ing angry. It’s like tfl bus inspectors are just pricks or the route masters buses are a death trap.

6 months ago, I evaded on a bus with a non working adult bus pass (later found I was no longer eligible for that adult bus pass). I got caught but I escaped a fine and a potential court case because I didn’t understand that my adult bus pass at the time was actually ineligible to continue use an I explained of my mental health issues.

Now I was caught again on the bus with ‘yet again another stupid mistake’. When you tap those routemaster buses in London , your meant to get an emergency fare ticket if you have a low balance on your oyster but mine didn’t come up. Instead the screen told me to go see the driver (in which in fairness i should have done). Ninja inspectors were already on the bus and cornered me on the double deck bus within seconds arguing with me.

I WAS SO ****ING ANGRY and now I’m expected to lose my new job on Tuesday. How could this happen again within a year??? I begged and explained to them that I was meant to get the emergency fare that is meant to be shown on my Oyster card when running out of money. They made the point that I should have seen the driver first. Then they tell me ‘tfl already has your details and will be sending a letter following this’

My parents will be angry again, I don’t know how the **** I can dispute this? I’m probably gonna get arrested or fined and have a criminal record and then be forced to leave the new job I’m about to take and will probably leave me a decade of unemployment

Has anyone had similar issues with this? Or I’m i ****ed?
Last edited by Quiet Benin; 4 weeks ago
MoonlightRain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
London fines Are the worst man. They fine you for just breathing wrong
Quiet Benin
Rep:
?
(Original post by IH8Studying)
London fines Are the worst man. They fine you for just breathing wrong
Has it happened to you before? London is ****ing stupid. In the midlands when I used to go uni, they just fine you on the spot and no criminal records or court proceedings goes forward

I’m going to lose my new job and my mum is going to beat the **** out of me. This happened twice in one year. I’m ****ed
MoonlightRain
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quiet Benin)
Has it happened to you before? London is ****ing stupid. In the midlands when I used to go uni, they just fine you on the spot and no criminal records or court proceedings goes forward

I’m going to lose my new job and my mum is going to beat the **** out of me. This happened twice in one year. I’m ****ed
Yeah I paid my £476 fine a month ago. They’re so annoying, can’t wait to leave this city. London literally just steals all your money.

Just cry in the court
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Should I call up my upcoming job and decline it? Because it’s obvious I’m ****ed and I’ve been crying for a good two hours
You can still travel on public transport.
Pay the fine
If you’re a persistent offender they could take you to court. Best to hold your hands up and be sorry.
It’s not a mistake though and it is not their fault. It’s yours. You knew what you were doing. Why should you travel for free or less than you should pay?

If you’re really struggling then perhaps you should talk to your mum. She can help you
Last edited by Sammylou40; 4 weeks ago
Quiet Benin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sammylou40)
You can still travel on public transport.
Pay the fine
If you’re a persistent offender they could take you to court. Best to hold your hands up and be sorry.
It’s not a mistake though and it is not their fault. It’s yours. You knew what you were doing. Why should you travel for free or less than you should pay?

If you’re really struggling then perhaps you should talk to your mum. She can help you
Do you conceive to think a second time is a 'persistent offender'. The first time it happened, i got away because of evidence but they told me it would be on tfl's record for a year.

I think it was a set up. The only mistake is i just felt not to go and ask the driver for the emergency fare. I literally didn't see the inspectors when i got on board, it was when i only sat down they came after me in 10 seconds and didn't ask anyone for people's tickets.
Quiet Benin
Rep:
?
I don't know what to, to do :banghead::banghead:

Any suggestions
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This situation seems to be of your own making so I’m not sure what advice we can give.

Own up to the errors, pay the fine (set up a payment plan if needs be). Speak to your work now and explain what’s going on. Maybe don’t describe TFL as being the p word to them.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know what to, to do :banghead::banghead:

Any suggestions
I don’t think that you’re a persistent offender.
Just pay the fine.
No need to give up your job
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your own fault, don't cry about it. Make sure to do things properly.
Quiet Benin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sammylou40)
I don’t think that you’re a persistent offender.
Just pay the fine.
No need to give up your job
I most certaintly will pay a fine with a criminal conviction. I can't see myself appealing to this because i have read my previous letter six momnths ago, saying if this happened again, it would lead to criminal conviction, and possibly prison.

I have stopped using all forms of Transport due to anxiety. It seems London transport no longer offer 'a penalty fare' anymore
Quiet Benin
Rep:
?
(Original post by IH8Studying)
Yeah I paid my £476 fine a month ago. They’re so annoying, can’t wait to leave this city. London literally just steals all your money.

Just cry in the court
I just wanna ask one thing. Did you receive a criminal record with your fine?
MoonlightRain
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I just wanna ask one thing. Did you receive a criminal record with your fine?
No thank god
Quiet Benin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bio 7)
Your own fault, don't cry about it. Make sure to do things properly.
It's my own fault but to me felt like a set up.

The honest truth is i did not know that taking a routemaster with a low balance on the oyster card would not get me an emergency fare. The inspectors, clearly saw me and cornered me, they could have politely told me to leave the bus (which i even suggested saying i'm getting off next stop) but no, they have made my already **** life worse and now i don't use any form of transport anymore in London due to anxiety. I just walk to places
Blackstarr
Report 4 weeks ago
How could it have been a set up if it was self inflicted? I think you just got unlucky there
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I most certaintly will pay a fine with a criminal conviction. I can't see myself appealing to this because i have read my previous letter six momnths ago, saying if this happened again, it would lead to criminal conviction, and possibly prison.

I have stopped using all forms of Transport due to anxiety. It seems London transport no longer offer 'a penalty fare' anymore
Don’t guess. You need to speak to someone who knows what they’re talking about. Try cab
Quiet Benin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blackstarr)
How could it have been a set up if it was self inflicted? I think you just got unlucky there
It's definitive unluckiness. What i mean was that the inspectors were already on the bus and i didn't see them. They could have told me to get off next stop but they wanted my details. As this is my second offense in 6 months and i have read my previous letter from my appeal, i am basically finished. I did not even entail to evade the ****ing bus. I just misunderstood what the oyster reader was saying BECAUSE I did have an amount on my oyster card and i expected, with any normal decker bus, to go on an emergency fare.

I used to have a the 18+ oyster card and even a freedom pass when i had suffered severe mental health issues, in which was travelling was simple. Now My life is just crashing down and my parents still don't know. They will find out when i'm living in a different part of the uk, then i'm truly ****ed
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's definitive unluckiness. What i mean was that the inspectors were already on the bus and i didn't see them. They could have told me to get off next stop but they wanted my details. As this is my second offense in 6 months and i have read my previous letter from my appeal, i am basically finished. I did not even entail to evade the ****ing bus. I just misunderstood what the oyster reader was saying BECAUSE I did have an amount on my oyster card and i expected, with any normal decker bus, to go on an emergency fare.

I used to have a the 18+ oyster card and even a freedom pass when i had suffered severe mental health issues, in which was travelling was simple. Now My life is just crashing down and my parents still don't know. They will find out when i'm living in a different part of the uk, then i'm truly ****ed
Please try not to get stressed too much about this.
It sounds as if you have some mitigating circumstances. I don’t know if it will help you or not but you should get some expert advice. There are many solicitors who will give you a free half hour.
If you genuinely feel that life is crashing around your ears then you need some support. If you don’t have anyone to talk to then please pm me. Don’t let this harm you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (506)
59.67%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.07%
No- I want it (241)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (58)
6.84%

Watched Threads