What happens to Crown protectorates if the UK ends?

Watch this thread
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What would happen to the Isle of man and other Crown protectorates if the UK ends?
By the UK ending, I am thinking a reunified Ireland and independent Scotland. I suppose its possible some rump UK England and Wales could remain but its hard to imagine.
So it seems obvious places like Canada and Australia could just get new heads of state, what would the Isle of man do? If Scotland and a United Ireland were euro States would they have to join the EU? Given that they wouldnt just become part of England.
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
What would happen to the Isle of man and other Crown protectorates if the UK ends?
By the UK ending, I am thinking a reunified Ireland and independent Scotland. I suppose its possible some rump UK England and Wales could remain but its hard to imagine.
So it seems obvious places like Canada and Australia could just get new heads of state, what would the Isle of man do? If Scotland and a United Ireland were euro States would they have to join the EU? Given that they wouldnt just become part of England.
You mean Crown dependencies?
They would carry on as they are, Scotland or N Ireland would make no difference to the relationship.
Leaving the EU makes no difference.
Canada and Australia are not Crown dependencies
In any even the Crown dependencies would carry on being the same.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You mean Crown dependencies?
They would carry on as they are, Scotland or N Ireland would make no difference to the relationship.
Leaving the EU makes no difference.
Canada and Australia are not Crown dependencies
In any even the Crown dependencies would carry on being the same.
I think there would be a genuine debate in the Crown Dependencies whether they wished to remain dependent on the Crown of England or seek some other relationship with the Crown.

I suspect they would eventually decide to stay but that would probably be due to concern about the permanence of the Crown in Scotland or other Commonwealth realms.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
I think there would be a genuine debate in the Crown Dependencies whether they wished to remain dependent on the Crown of England or seek some other relationship with the Crown.

I suspect they would eventually decide to stay but that would probably be due to concern about the permanence of the Crown in Scotland or other Commonwealth realms.
Hello I thought you were going to correct me.
I dont know what the agreements say, but I expect they are with the crown .
I believe they are always open to ask for a different relationship and always have been.
Not sure what the last sentence means?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Hello I thought you were going to correct me.
I dont know what the agreements say, but I expect they are with the crown .
I believe they are always open to ask for a different relationship and always have been.
Not sure what the last sentence means?
The Australian and New Zealand Crowns are the only ones currently with dependencies but would say, the IOM switch to the Scottish Crown or the the Aus or NZ Crowns if they thought any would become Republics in due course?

At the moment the most stable Commonwealth monarchy is Canada but Canada currently has no dependencies. There has been talk of the Turks and Caicos becoming an 11th province or joining Nova Scotia and if that happened you could see that being attractive to the the CI or IOM as well.

The Crown Dependencies aren’t really viable as independent states; the nature of their economies requires international representation and they can’t afford the extent of it they would require. Malta is about the smallest state in Europe with full international representation (excluding the anomalous Vatican City); all the other pocket handkerchief states have a quasi-dependent relationship on a bigger nation.
Last edited by nulli tertius; 2 years ago
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Don't they have to be under the UK or Britain though? How could they be under just England? And could isle of man become a euro state with Ireland and Scotland?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (36)
26.09%
As I expected (46)
33.33%
Harder (49)
35.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5.07%

Watched Threads