The Student Room Group

I punched a homeless guy but am I in the wrong?

So I got on the tube with my mate we had to stand up cus the tube was pretty packed and I lost balance a bit and bumped into the this homeless man and he swore at me so I said don't swear at me and he said what are you gonna do and I said I don't like your attitude so he spat at me and It went in my eye so I punched him and he punched me back so I punched him in nose and he lost balance and slipped and people started swearing at me saying I'm in the wrong but nobody touched me and I managed to get off the tube safely

Would you say I was in the wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Probably, 2 yobs fighting
You did the right thing you stood up for yourself
When he spat in your eye you were impaired and feared for your safety right?
Original post by Mixedraceguy
So I got on the tube with my mate we had to stand up cus the tube was pretty packed and I lost balance a bit and bumped into the this homeless man and he swore at me so I said don't swear at me and he said what are you gonna do and I said I don't like your attitude so he spat at me and It went in my eye so I punched him and he punched me back so I punched him in nose and he lost balance and slipped and people started swearing at me saying I'm in the wrong but nobody touched me and I managed to get off the tube safely

Would you say I was in the wrong?

You bumped into someone and tried to form big man? You are lucky that you were not shanked. Be careful when you move in London, not everyone is calm.
Original post by SavageRyan
You did the right thing you stood up for yourself
When he spat in your eye you were impaired and feared for your safety right?

Yes he could have filled me, who knows what could have happened so I did something about it
after he swore at you, you could have just ignored him
Yes, it's your fault.
You could have just ignored him when he swore at you, there was literally no need to carry it on.
Reply 7
he deserved it ngl
This is so British
If I was homeless I'd probably get irritated over little things too. After being cold and hungry he got physical abuse too!
If your not in the wrong, try to stay in the right. Punch him then give him money.
You going to go around punching everyone that swears at you? :colonhash:

Someone may not take your "big man" attitude lightly one day and you'll get hurt.
You should have been the bigger person and ignored him.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
You bumped into someone and tried to form big man? You are lucky that you were not shanked. Be careful when you move in London, not everyone is calm.

I wasn't trying to be a big man I just confronted him about the way he spoke to me I was sorry for bumping into him

Yeah London is a scary place I'm even more weary about drinking tonight after that fight
I wasn't trying to be a big man I just confronted him about the way he spoke to me I was sorry for bumping into him

Yeah London is a scary place I'm even more weary about drinking tonight after that fight

Think about how what you did fits in with your Christian journey. Then you can answer your own question
Reply 13
As far as I know spitting is assault so legally you are in the right. There wasn't really any need to carry it on after he swore at you but the spitting was disgusting and there was no need for him to physically escalate and "assault" you like that. Don't worry about it
Reply 14
no you weren’t. spitting is utter disrespect and he was homeless so his breath probably STANK. i would’ve swiped him.
You did well , aim for the nose again next time
(edited 4 years ago)

Yes, I understood that point. You should learn to walk away. Most times it is not worth your reaction. If you got stabbed, you become another faceless statistic for the narrative of “lawless london”.

You should enjoy your life and have a good time. Just be careful with the way you move, some people are wild and things can go from 0 to 100 real quick. Stay safe.
I mean you could have stopped it at "what are you gonna do" and just turned away.
Just out of interest, why does it matter that the man was homeless? Does it make it less wrong for you to hit him?
Original post by black tea
Just out of interest, why does it matter that the man was homeless? Does it make it less wrong for you to hit him?

Dunno about wrong but I would feel less inclined to fight a homeless dude than your average bystander.