Mad Man
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
In a book it says to make a standard solution you calculate the mass of sodium hydroxide needed in the solution. Then you place a weighing bottle on a digital balance and weigh out the required mass of solid approximately and tip it into a beaker.

You then weigh the weighing bottle and subtract the mass of the bottle from the mass of the bottle and the solid together to get the precise mass of the solid you weighed out.

My question is, wouldn't this mass be less than the one you wanted to measure out? Is there an error in the book?
Name:  Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 8.29.43 PM.png
Views: 11
Size:  219.6 KB
Last edited by Mad Man; 3 weeks ago
alannah66
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It doesn't matter if the precise mass of solute used is slightly less than desired, you can calculate the exact concentration of the solution using the precise value. This is fine in a school practical but in industry obviously a more accurate mass would be needed.
Mad Man
Rep:
?
(Original post by alannah66)
It doesn't matter if the precise mass of solute used is slightly less than desired, you can calculate the exact concentration of the solution using the precise value. This is fine in a school practical but in industry obviously a more accurate mass would be needed.
How is it exact if the mass isn't precise? Can't I just change the order in which I do it. So measure the mass of the weighing boat and THEN weigh out the mass of the solute ensuring that the mass isn't exceeded. For example if the weighing boat weighs 2 g ensure that you weigh 22 g of solute?
Mad Man
Rep:
?
bump
Mad Man
Rep:
?
Or can't you place the weighing boat on the balance, set it to zero and then add the solid?
Mad Man
Rep:
?
Hello? #
Mad Man
Rep:
?
I really need help here please.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?