Chem 7 (8)
English Lang 5 (7)
English Lit 5 (7)
Economics 8 (8)
French 5 (7)
History 8 (8)
Maths 7 (8)
Physics 8 (8)

If I get my target grades will they be good enough for Oxbridge or not?
Will I be able to get 7s in English and French?
alannah66
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It depends on what course you want to do- If you wanted to do a science-based degree, a 7 in chemistry would usually not be considered high enough. FOr Natsci at Cambridge and Chemistry at Oxford you will need A*A*A which will not be achievable with 7s and 8s in science considering that people with all 9s at GCSE still struggle to achieve these grades.
If you work hard and practise exam technique a 7 should be easy in French and English.
ibby68
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Mocks are almost meaningless, it isn't a great indication becauuse most people dont actually start revising properly until they are near their exam.
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by alannah66)
It depends on what course you want to do- If you wanted to do a science-based degree, a 7 in chemistry would usually not be considered high enough. FOr Natsci at Cambridge and Chemistry at Oxford you will need A*A*A which will not be achievable with 7s and 8s in science considering that people with all 9s at GCSE still struggle to achieve these grades.
If you work hard and practise exam technique a 7 should be easy in French and English.
I'm not sure that I agree - I know a lot of people who didn't do particularly well at GCSE compared to how they did/ are doing at A level. Although it is a little different between sciences and humanities, I struggled through English lit GCSE to get a 7, and am now averaging A* at A level. I have another friend who did the same in Physics and got a 6 at GCSE and is predicted A* now. I really do think that some people just suit A levels better, or just grow into themselves a bit. But you're definitely right about English and French - they're tough, but mainly because you're doing so many other subjects simultaneously. 100% recommend revision workbooks for French - I used to do a translation into French per day from the book and that really helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (63)
15.14%
I'm not sure (14)
3.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (141)
33.89%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.44%
I'm not a current university student (192)
46.15%

Watched Threads