The Student Room Group

Law at university

Okay so I’m currently in year 12 and starting to look at universities. I want a good nightlife as well as a good education and I want to meet new people. I am predicted a distinction in public services, a distinction in law and a merit in digital media (I’m sure I can get my predicted grade up though). I want to make law a career and go down the criminal barrister route. Does going to a Russel group university and a non Russel group university matter in this situation in the long run etc... also do you recommend any universities that have a good nightlife as well as a good education, thanks for the help.
Edinburgh and Glasgow are Russel Group universities and have very good reputations for Law. I believe Glasgow was the 2nd best law school in the U.K. last year after Cambridge and sometimes just falls short of Oxford. Edinburgh is less high on the rankings however it’s a lovely city and place to live. Both have great nightlife though I would say Glasgow is better as it’s a bigger city although Edinburgh clubs are nice too and there is always an array of restaurants and pubs and things to do.

Both have stunning views, Edinburgh has the castle, an extinct volcano and a beautiful beach. Glasgow has Loch Lomond 40 mins away by train and has the Necropolis which is beautiful. All in all both are great and offer good courses and nightlife.

I’m afraid I don’t really know English universities only Scottish ones but I can promise they’re brilliant
Hi @George1801

Those are great predictions!

Russel group universities will give you access to ‘magic circle’ firms; the top law firms out there. It is up to you whether this is of major importance to you! Seeing as you want to become a barrister and will therefore be self-employed, I would say it is not as important as aspiring solicitors but this is purely opinion.. definitely check it all out for yourself!

I think your best bet would be to narrow universities down to 5-10 and check them out. You can visit their websites and take virtual tours or attend open days (which I think is the best way to gage the student life).

I’m studying at The University of Law in London, and London is great for nightlife! There’s student events every night at different venues. However, you may prefer to be at a campus university where they have campus clubs etc. It really is all down to preference.

Hope this has helped :-)
Tasha
Original post by George1801
Okay so I’m currently in year 12 and starting to look at universities. I want a good nightlife as well as a good education and I want to meet new people. I am predicted a distinction in public services, a distinction in law and a merit in digital media (I’m sure I can get my predicted grade up though). I want to make law a career and go down the criminal barrister route. Does going to a Russel group university and a non Russel group university matter in this situation in the long run etc... also do you recommend any universities that have a good nightlife as well as a good education, thanks for the help.

No it wont the uni reputation doesnt matter but there will be more better opportunities and i guess quality of facilities and teaching but one could argue this. It's more about strengthening your application and your uni name doeesnt matter but your grades will. However, experience is so much appealing to employers that's why people do paralegal work before they apply for a pupillage since its very competitive. For English universities:

Russel group uni: from the more higher standard unis, KCL and UCL probably have a good nightlife as it's in London; from the lesser strict unis, newcastle and manchester has a good nightlife.

Non-Russel unis: Northumbria uni, which is in newcastle; Manchester Met (not sure about education but some have been happy there), which is in uni. I have quite limited knowledge of more unis so bare this in mind as this list is quite limited.

Btw you can do any degree as long as you get the highest grade you can achieve. If you do a qualifying law degree, you can qualify for the BPTC whereas if you do a non-qualifying law degree or another degree, you need to do a conversion after your degree.
It's Russell Group, eveyone

Quick Reply

Latest