diksha2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey guys!

Haven’t talked to you so long...

So here I am again with another problematic situation...

I did my chemistry mock on Monday and got my result on Thursday...I got 35/90 (39%) which is a D.
I have plans to do medicine in the future but am now questioning my suitability on that as I need a minimum of an A to do medicine.
So it would be fab if you guys could give some advice on how I can get an A/A* in chem,what and how much work I need to put in so I can the grade I need and also,how realistic is it that I can get my desired grade.
In my defence,my teacher realised she didn’t give us enough time during the test so afterwards,she gave us 25 minutes to check and finish up some questions.
Also,I’m not comparing myself to others here but there were people getting Us and Es as well as people getting Ds and Cs,with one person getting an A.

Thank you for your help in advance you guys and please,pray for my entry into med.

Diksha x
Last edited by diksha2002; 4 weeks ago
alannah66
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
AS exams are notoriously hard and the grade boundaries are low as a result of this. Also, 24/90 is equal to 27%...so maybe revise maths as well. Getting an A in chem shouldn't be hard as long as you go through the spec or CGP guide methodically and memorise all the key points, for example bond angles and synthesis routes, as being real that's all that is required to get an A. For the A* you would need to read beyond the spec and more importantly have natural chemical intuition which it doesn't sound like you have.
diksha2002
Rep:
?
Ok,so I haven’t done my AS exam,it was a test of topics we’ve done so far. Yeah,the mark I’ve written was a typo,I got 35/90,which,I think,you will find is 39%...so I need to stop making typos,not revise maths. I’m not doubting you but are you sure that’s all I need to do to get an A as my teacher makes it sound very difficult. Yeah,I have started going beyond the spec as I do have a genuine interest for chemistry but on the natural intuition side,chemistry has not been my strong point but my grades will improve with time,practice and advice from people like you. Also,what grade you have in chem?Diksha
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by diksha2002)
Hey guys!

I did my chemistry mock on Monday and got my result on Thursday...I got 24/90 (39%) which is a D.
I have plans to do medicine in the future but am now questioning my suitability on that as I need a minimum of an A to do medicine.
So it would be fab if you guys could give some advice on how I can get an A/A* in chem,what and how much work I need to put in so I can the grade I need and also,how realistic is it that I can get my desired grade.
In my defence,my teacher realised she didn’t give us enough time during the test so afterwards,she gave us 25 minutes to check and finish up some questions.
Also,I’m not comparing myself to others here but there were people getting Us and Es as well as people getting Ds and Cs,with one person getting an A.

Thank you for your help in advance you guys and please,pray for my entry into med.

Diksha x
lmao in my school 40% is a low E (but just checked the grade boundaries for last year's a-level chemistry and I am fuming as 40% last year is what you needed for a high D!! (and you only needed 20% for an E!!) so the grade boundaries in my school are far too high... maybe I should complain?) crikey also Pigster might be able to help
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ok,so I haven’t done my AS exam,it was a test of topics we’ve done so far. Yeah,the mark I’ve written was a typo,I got 35/90,which,I think,you will find is 39%...so I need to stop making typos,not revise maths. I’m not doubting you but are you sure that’s all I need to do to get an A as my teacher makes it sound very difficult. Yeah,I have started going beyond the spec as I do have a genuine interest for chemistry but on the natural intuition side,chemistry has not been my strong point but my grades will improve with time,practice and advice from people like you. Also,what grade you have in chem?Diksha
in my school, 39% is a U lol...fuming
diksha2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st superstar)
lmao in my school 40% is a low E (but just checked the grade boundaries for last year's a-level chemistry and I am fuming as 40% last year is what you needed for a high D!! (and you only needed 20% for an E!!) so the grade boundaries in my school are far too high... maybe I should complain?) crikey also Pigster might be able to help
Thank you
Baby_Mama
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
LOL same. Why is it so high? A grade D is almost 50% and this guys school says 39% is a D. xD
Last edited by Baby_Mama; 4 weeks ago
dxnixl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In my school:

80% A
70% B
60% C
50% D
40% E

like wtf
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Baby_Mama)
same. Why is it so high?
IDK so realistically I am on a high E or even a high D!! (not a friggin U (i got 38% on my last test)) for chem assuming that the 20% for an E could go up to 30-35% next year.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Baby_Mama)
LOL same. Why is it so high? A grade D is almost 50% and this guys school says 39% is a D. xD
it actually is if you look at last year's grade boundaries, it's just our schools screwing us over lol
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dxnixl)
In my school:

80% A
70% B
60% C
50% D
40% E

like wtf
honestly same!!
dxnixl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
honestly same!!
my school likes to laugh at students like us for getting C/Ds all year long (because of their boundaries). By the time the exam comes, we’ll all end up getting A’s because it’ll be like 50% lmao
sahmahn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey guys!

I did my chemistry mock on Monday and got my result on Thursday...I got 35/90 (39%) which is a D.

Diksha x
Humans are scum for the suffering they cause to billions of animals.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sahmahn)
Humans are scum for the suffering they cause to billions of animals.
ok
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Pigster
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dxnixl)
In my school:

80% A
70% B
60% C
50% D
40% E

like wtf
For the record, OCR A's Chemistry grade boundaries over the last three years were:
2017 2018 2019
A* 86% 88% 85%
A 73% 76% 73%
B 61% 63% 60%
C 48% 49% 47%
D 36% 36% 34%
E 23% 23% 21%

As for the OP, I quote, "and how much work I need to put in so I can the grade I need". That to me sounds like "what is the minimum amount of effort I need to put in..." I have been a teacher for a fair few years and I have only taught one Y12 D grade student who went on to get an A at A level. Probably not what you want to hear, but her situation needs retelling.

She was written off by her parents and then kicked out of her house. She re-sat Y12 whilst sleeping on her grandmother's couch. Her attitude, understandably, changed to one of desire to the point of anger at her situation. She wanted to succeed in chemistry, not just so that she could go to medical school and have a better life, but mostly to stick two fingers up to her parents.

To ask, "how much work" misses the point. If you want to go from D to A you have to do all of the work. You don't get to go to parties and hang out, you don't get to have a social life. You work. Probably for the first time in your life. And if you try to say that you have been working then I say you stand no chance of improving to an A as your version of working is only good enough for you to get 39%.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pigster)
For the record, OCR A's Chemistry grade boundaries over the last three years were:
2017 2018 2019
A* 86% 88% 85%
A 73% 76% 73%
B 61% 63% 60%
C 48% 49% 47%
D 36% 36% 34%
E 23% 23% 21%
WHAT?!?! I AM FUMING why the heck is my school telling me I am on a U when in reality I am on a D? that's like a 2-grade difference!!! and they call home if you get a U or E on a test... Nah I might complain this is outrageous!!! I know that 20-40% isn't great nor is getting a D/E but still a 20% out of line grade boundary is ludicrous!!! literally crying right now 😭 considering I want to get a C for May mocks.
5hyl33n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
WHAT?!?! I AM FUMING why the heck is my school telling me I am on a U when in reality I am on a D? that's like a 2-grade difference!!! and they call home if you get a U or E on a test... Nah I might complain this is outrageous!!! I know that 20-40% isn't great nor is getting a D/E but still a 20% out of line grade boundary is ludicrous!!! literally crying right now 😭 considering I want to get a C for May mocks.
I understand your anger. I was a mark of an A in my test. It wasn’t a mock but everything since the start of year 12. I’m dreading year 13.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You could be comparing apples with pairs. The grade boundaries I copied apply to the combined score from all three papers an A level student took in Y13. They should not be applied to individual papers (although there is a good degree of similarity to those numbers, if you wanted to know you can google the grade boundaries for each paper - I did and just combined them).

The other issue is that you might not have taken a complete paper and hence your school can't apply official grade boundaries, so they have made up their own. In our college, when we make up an exam, we tend to use 80,70... too.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pigster)
You could be comparing apples with pairs. The grade boundaries I copied apply to the combined score from all three papers an A level student took in Y13. They should not be applied to individual papers (although there is a good degree of similarity to those numbers, if you wanted to know you can google the grade boundaries for each paper - I did and just combined them).

The other issue is that you might not have taken a complete paper and hence your school can't apply official grade boundaries, so they have made up their own. In our college, when we make up an exam, we tend to use 80,70... too.
True I still think that it shouldn't be 40% for an E maybe like 30%. A 20% grade boundary difference is inexcusable under any circumstances sorry I'll pass. What about when it comes to my UCAS grade and say I get 59% on a test in year 13 (which I know is bad) why should my school have the right to predict me as a D/ low C (going by their grade boundaries for chemistry) when in reality I should be predicted a C/low B? this situation (if it were to happen) can literally hinder my chances of being able to go to a "good/decent" university!!. In regards to it "only being 1 paper" then be a little more "realistic" and times the school by 3 then work out the grade boundaries from that (far better than having atrociously high grade boundaries). Don't think I completely agree with your post considering there is huge difference between the grade boundaries in my school vs the ones written by OCR experts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (144)
60.25%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.6%
No- I want it (67)
28.03%
No- I don't want it (17)