Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
This afternoon I was home alone and someone randomly knocked on my door. I wasn't expecting anyone, yet I stupidly opened the door. It was a survey person and I (stupidly) agreed to complete it. She showed me her ID for the company so she seemed legit. The survey person then asked whether she could step inside as it was cold and I thought: fair enough, it is a cold day. But looking back at it, it was crazy to let some stranger into my house and now I'm just paranoid because part of the survey involved me giving my full name, and she would be able to know our address too. I just panicked, and I can't believe how gullible I am. Luckily I refused to give my phone number and email address, but I'm scared because I don't know what she could do with my name and address...

Has this ever happened to anyone before? Am I in danger?
MiaNova
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I doubt it's anything to worry too much about.
Obviously stay vigilant and don't let a random stranger into your house again.
username1208026
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Agreed. Unlikely to be anything to worry you. You've realised the potential pitfalls to avoid next time.

A
Jess.1819
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look up the company online, see if anyone else has had it happen that’ll settle your anxiety or tell you what to do about it.

It doesn’t sound that dodgy, it’s not like you gave bank details or anything, think of how many delivery drivers know your name and address etc.

What was the survey for?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jess.1819)
Look up the company online, see if anyone else has had it happen that’ll settle your anxiety or tell you what to do about it.

It doesn’t sound that dodgy, it’s not like you gave bank details or anything, think of how many delivery drivers know your name and address etc.

What was the survey for?
it was literally about random topics like alcohol, what kind of phone I have and how often I use it, how often I go to the gym and social media, it was just quite random and I don't see the link between any of the topics or the point of the survey
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is why I don't open the door unless I am expecting someone.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MiaNova)
I doubt it's anything to worry too much about.
Obviously stay vigilant and don't let a random stranger into your house again.
(Original post by Mr Aitch)
Agreed. Unlikely to be anything to worry you. You've realised the potential pitfalls to avoid next time.

A
Thanks, I just can't believe how naive I am this worries me as I am a uni student and apparently an 'adult' :eek:
angelike1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
no lol
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m surprised you opened the door. Before I open the door if the bell has been rung I always look from the window to see who is there. If it’s someone I’m not expecting or don’t know then I will not open the door.
Last edited by Deggs_14; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Deggs_14)
I’m surprised you opened the door. Before I open the door if the bell has been rung I always look from the window to see who is there. If it’s someone I’m not expecting or don’t know then I will not open the door.
My housemate's room has the only front-facing window on the bottom floor, my room is on the second floor, so I didn't have a way of seeing who it was
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My housemate's room has the only front-facing window on the bottom floor, my room is on the second floor, so I didn't have a way of seeing who it was
Why didn’t you go in their room and look out the window then?
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You probably are in danger if you open your door to strangers. If it’s not a delivery man or someone you know, then you should not answer the door when you’re home alone.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Why didn’t you go in their room and look out the window then?
Our bedroom doors have locks on them, so all of my housemates lock their bedroom doors when they go out
shebk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you boy or girl? How old are you?
If you are a girl, you'd better not let a stranger in your room, it's dangerous
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%
No- I want it (120)
26.67%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.56%

Watched Threads

Latest