Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Really struggling to begin my literature review for my dissertation. Obviously i have been reading a lot of the literature into my field but just got no idea how to start. Any tips>? thanks
sixdifferentways
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had the exact same problem. I HATED doing my lit review! The way I got over it was having a structure for each paragraph. I’d start with the name of the source and the author, and then one or two very brief sentences about the information that you are using from the source, e.g. “Source X by Author Y provides details about ____ and ____...”. Next I went into a bit about the context that the source was written in and the author themselves, making sure to mention how this affects the validity/credibility of the source. Then I’d mention the nature of the source (e.g. journal article, book, news article) and say how this makes the source more/less reliable. Finally I’d end with my overall conclusion on how useful/credible the source is.

While I chose to do my sources mostly in order of when I used them in my discussion, you can create a better sense of flow by beginning or ending a paragraph with the next source you’re going to analyse, and saying whether the two sources agree or disagree and to what extent.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Really struggling to begin my literature review for my dissertation. Obviously i have been reading a lot of the literature into my field but just got no idea how to start. Any tips>? thanks
In addition to the great advice above, I'd say to work from generally relevant literature in the wider sense, to more specifically relevant literature in the specific field/area you want to talk about or research. I believe it's called the funnel method, as you work from broad to specific sources.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by sixdifferentways)
I had the exact same problem. I HATED doing my lit review! The way I got over it was having a structure for each paragraph. I’d start with the name of the source and the author, and then one or two very brief sentences about the information that you are using from the source, e.g. “Source X by Author Y provides details about ____ and ____...”. Next I went into a bit about the context that the source was written in and the author themselves, making sure to mention how this affects the validity/credibility of the source. Then I’d mention the nature of the source (e.g. journal article, book, news article) and say how this makes the source more/less reliable. Finally I’d end with my overall conclusion on how useful/credible the source is.

While I chose to do my sources mostly in order of when I used them in my discussion, you can create a better sense of flow by beginning or ending a paragraph with the next source you’re going to analyse, and saying whether the two sources agree or disagree and to what extent.
Thanks i have set a word document up and trying to keep track of all the literature and all the key arguments.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (32)
21.62%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (71)
47.97%
I'm unsure (45)
30.41%

Watched Threads