andylovecoffee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I’m final year neuroscience, with a first class degree average so far. I am really interested in pursuing veterinary medicine with the graduate pathway in UCD, however I am petrified about the competition! Five places! My interest in veterinary is recent (within the last year or so), I even had the points in my leaving cert to enter the course, back a few years ago!

Look, I just wonder if there is anyone in the degree now who could give me advice on how to gain the appropriate experience, and what would make me stand out in an interview?

All suggestions appreciated!
spacelumps
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by andylovecoffee)
I’m final year neuroscience, with a first class degree average so far. I am really interested in pursuing veterinary medicine with the graduate pathway in UCD, however I am petrified about the competition! Five places! My interest in veterinary is recent (within the last year or so), I even had the points in my leaving cert to enter the course, back a few years ago!

Look, I just wonder if there is anyone in the degree now who could give me advice on how to gain the appropriate experience, and what would make me stand out in an interview?

All suggestions appreciated!
Hey, I did grad entry vet in UCD, feel free to message me if you've got questions
andylovecoffee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Can I ask where you did work experience? With the Covid situation it’s quite difficult to secure places
spacelumps
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Can I ask where you did work experience? With the Covid situation it’s quite difficult to secure places
Before I applied? This is a little far back for me now, but I applied with experience in my local small animal vets, DSPCA and I think I had some stables/farm in there as well, but they focus less on work experience than the UK universities. They did call my small animal practice for a reference. Don't feel put off by the competition for 5 places, I didn't think I had a chance in hell, I had a 2.1 and a mediocre GAMSAT, but I sat a good interview and had varied work experience so I think that helped.
andylovecoffee
Rep:
?
My worry is the work experience, most places are saying no, or at least not until next January which is probably too late... can I ask what sort of farm you worked at? I’m in the city, so advice is greatly appreciated!
spacelumps
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I had a friend of a friend with a sheep farm and stables so that's where I went, I also lived in the city so didn't have too many options but just bothered my friends for any connections they might have had. There were others in my grad class who had also only recently decided to pursue vet before starting, so I don't think that will count against you at all. They'll understand how it's been with covid as the hospital itself had to shut except for emergencies, I had to finish out my rotations online and loads of students weren't able to complete work experience placements, you're definitely not alone there
andylovecoffee
Rep:
?
Ah ok! I heard that the hospital had closed, that must be annoying for you all do they look for range of experience more so than length of experience then?
spacelumps
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Ah ok! I heard that the hospital had closed, that must be annoying for you all do they look for range of experience more so than length of experience then?
They don’t (or at least didn’t when I applied) have a minimum amount of work experience required to apply so I’d say they just want to see you’ve exposed yourself to the profession enough that you know what you’re getting into but I wouldn’t know for sure what the requirements are. You can always email them to ask? The lady I was in contact with when applying was really helpful answering my questions about the process so it wouldn’t hurt to just ask to see what they are looking for or if there’s a min requirement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.34%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.17%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.46%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.41%

Watched Threads