Pollock Halls is apparently really elitist? (University of Edinburgh) Watch

dbd1003
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hey guys! so context:
- I’m starting at UofEdinburgh sept 2020 and definitely want to be in Pollock Halls as it’s catered (self-catered is out of the question)
- went to a fairly posh Southern boarding school and had lots of friends there so haven’t actually had to try to “fit in” for many years

however, I’ve come across a lot of bad things about Pollock Halls being very snobby - exclusive for the London bubble only, so very hard and isolating for people outside of that e.g. @overheardatpollockhalls instagram and @PollockTV on Facebook. I know those aren’t true representations of Pollock as it’s intended to entertain by taking the mick but I’ve also heard from multiple acquaintances (friend of a friend of a friend) generally confirming those portrayals.

I get that you can make friends elsewhere and that this isn’t the be all and end, but I already struggle with social anxiety in new environments as it is, therefore am concerned. Please can anyone share their experiences? Were people generally keen to make new friends? Or was it an impenetrable Londoner bubble? Did you know a lot of people before starting?

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry about the fussy rant
Last edited by dbd1003; 4 weeks ago
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't take meme instagrams too seriously.

Pollock Halls is fine. Just chat to your hall-mates and meet people during fresher's. Everyone's in the same boat, even if not the same social class.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I was not in Pollock Halls but I come across people who were a lot within my courses. To be honest, they have pretty much all been snobby and unfriendly. If uncatered accommodation is out of the question because you can't cook then I would say that learning to cook would be an easier and much more enjoyable task than trying to fit in at Pollock.
dbd1003
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was not in Pollock Halls but I come across people who were a lot within my courses
Would you mind telling what courses those are?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I have encountered pollock people on humanities courses e.g literatures, languages, arts and also econ and politics etc
Flk10
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Obviously not everyone at Pollock will be the same, but it does certainly have a certain reputation of being full of 'posh' students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (491)
59.59%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.22%
No- I want it (234)
28.4%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.8%

Watched Threads