Ruth2019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Sorry for my english guys I’m so pissed, desperate and nervous that I don’t even know where to ask for help..or at least some kind of advice. Basically, I finished my first year at uni, SLC paid for, everything was fine, then in 2019 September (just before my second year at uni supposed to start) I decided to take a gap year because of personal reasons, obviously I informed my univeristy, and Student Finance Services about my plans etc etc. I called them like three times, explained about my plans, even received an email from my university registry course administrator that he’s confirming my gap year bla bla bla bla, and that he’s gonna state that on my student record, and I really thought that everything was fine with it, until today. For some reason today I randomly decided to check my gov.uk Student Finance Account I logged on and I saw that they already paid 2,300~~£ to my university in October even though as I said before I informed them of my intention...I haven’t even enrolled nor attended the university, and I informed everyone before my 2nd year supposed to start... Now I’m like really angry, sad and desperate and don’t know what to do... it’s like a waste of money, was it my mistake? Maybe i forgot to do something... IDK... Or maybe it is some kind of a mistake that slc did? Do you think my university is willing to to me a refund? And what should I do? Maybe someone had a similar situation, any kind of information is helpful. Thank you guys...
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You need to write (email - and keep the email) to both the student loans company and your university then call the SLC to follow up. If you have any evidence of when you communicated with the SLC about postponing the course keep hold of it.

Unlikely to be a big deal - it should be pretty easy to resolve.
Ruth2019
Rep:
?
That’s the thing, I have no evidence from SLC, because I only called them, like three times and they said to me that everything is gonna be fine. The only evidence I have is an email from my University’s Registry Course administrator about “confirming” my gap year. And it just makes me wondered why did my university “confirmed” my attendence to SLC if I haven’t been to a single lecture?? Or even enrolled to a course...
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ruth2019)
That’s the thing, I have no evidence from SLC, because I only called them, like three times and they said to me that everything is gonna be fine. The only evidence I have is an email from my University’s Registry Course administrator about “confirming” my gap year. And it just makes me wondered why did my university “confirmed” my attendence to SLC if I haven’t been to a single lecture?? Or even enrolled to a course...
For evidence write a note to the best of your recollection of the calls you had with SLC. If possible try to recall dates and approx times.

there had just been an administrative error - really not a major issue so long as you follow up and get it corrected.
Shirohige
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It is likely an admin error by the university, SLC go with what the unis tell them, so take it up with the uni, should be an easy fix.
Ruth2019
Rep:
?
Well... okay thank you guys, gonna try to fix it tommorow, even though not sure if they gonna give me a refund...
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well... okay thank you guys, gonna try to fix it tommorow, even though not sure if they gonna give me a refund...
I'm confident for you!
Cherriesnwinc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I work for SLC at the moment. Have a chat with ur uni. Get them to refund the money back. Unis have major issues with informing us sometimes / it causes delays. Like someone said earlier;; we go off what the unis tell us. Have a chat w them. It’s unlikely to be a big deal. But if it’s left long enough,,, it could come up as an overpayment, especially if ur uni then confirms non attendance.
Ruth2019
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cherriesnwinc)
Hey, I work for SLC at the moment. Have a chat with ur uni. Get them to refund the money back. Unis have major issues with informing us sometimes / it causes delays. Like someone said earlier;; we go off what the unis tell us. Have a chat w them. It’s unlikely to be a big deal. But if it’s left long enough,,, it could come up as an overpayment, especially if ur uni then confirms non attendance.
What do you mean by saying “left long enough”? .... bc thats the thing the transaction from SLC to my uni was made in October, but honestly I had no idea, I just noticed it now...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?