JJrevises
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Yup. Another night awake and alone, thoughts buzzing and circling in my head. My insomnia has got worse recently because of stressful situations like mocks and that has thrown me into a panic mode when I try and sleep. Before mocks and back in September I was getting disrupted sleep but I was still sleeping. Now though, throughout my mock gcse exams I haven't been sleeping at all. There have been several nights where I lay awake, looking at the torturing alarm clock. I literally just have to calculate how many hours of sleep I will get from that specific time. My memory is affected as well, and since I'm revising the two are far from ideal. I'm already now for extra time in exams because of dyslexia. But is there any access arrangements I can get for my insomnia? I know it sounds weird, but I am really stressing about the exams which makes me not sleep, which makes me forget information and that in turn lowers my grade. I'm just worried that my severe lack of sleep will impact me greatly in my actual gcses.
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by JJrevises)
Yup. Another night awake and alone, thoughts buzzing and circling in my head. My insomnia has got worse recently because of stressful situations like mocks and that has thrown me into a panic mode when I try and sleep. Before mocks and back in September I was getting disrupted sleep but I was still sleeping. Now though, throughout my mock gcse exams I haven't been sleeping at all. There have been several nights where I lay awake, looking at the torturing alarm clock. I literally just have to calculate how many hours of sleep I will get from that specific time. My memory is affected as well, and since I'm revising the two are far from ideal. I'm already now for extra time in exams because of dyslexia. But is there any access arrangements I can get for my insomnia? I know it sounds weird, but I am really stressing about the exams which makes me not sleep, which makes me forget information and that in turn lowers my grade. I'm just worried that my severe lack of sleep will impact me greatly in my actual gcses.
Hello fellow insomniac! Actually idk if I have insomnia I just rarely sleep.

If you can't sleep, then don't force yourself. Read a book or something. I doubt non-sleeping does effect your memory to a large degree, I rarely slept during exams and I did fine. I know it's hard, but stressing is just a cycle that doesn't help any one at all so try and relax.
Are you a good student? Are you doing ok with revising? If so then you'll be very surprised at how much seeps in.

And above all these are just mocks!! I did cr*p in my mocks and still did well in the real thing. If you do do badly, then just revise a little during school time and not in one large bulk near exams. Little and often chunks is always so much better then one big chunk.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Look at all the advice online about sleeping better - get more exercise and fresh air during the day, don't use a phone or watch a screen in the hour before bed etc.

If you're insomnia causes you to fall asleep during exams then you might be entitled to rest breaks but that's it as far as access arrangements go. However, you could ask if you could sit by an open window to help you stay alert, I've done that before with someone with real issues.
Last edited by Compost; 3 weeks ago
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’ve had insomnia for years and managed to do very well in my exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?