Avoidance of Alcoholic Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So I constantly avoid going out now. I’m in my first year and all my mates love going out clubbing and having a drink, but I really dislike it.
I don’t drink to have fun, I drink to get drunk ( tbh getting drunk is the only way i can enjoy a club) and drink to the extreme. I’m constantly scared to drink too since my dad is an alcoholic.
I’ve never really been a big club person anyway but I tried to go out a few times, and it was fun, but each time I was the most drunk. And the last time I lost all my friends and ended up crying and not knowing where I was causing me to get into a dodgy situation. Back home I always had someone taking care of me but now it’s all on me, which is understandable but if I get myself in that state then I’m gonna get myself in dodgy situations.
Anyway, my friends keep asking me to go out and it’s hard because I want to be social and have fun with them without getting completely drunk but also I don’t want to be in that environment anymore. Any tips?
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I constantly avoid going out now. I’m in my first year and all my mates love going out clubbing and having a drink, but I really dislike it.
I don’t drink to have fun, I drink to get drunk ( tbh getting drunk is the only way i can enjoy a club) and drink to the extreme. I’m constantly scared to drink too since my dad is an alcoholic.
I’ve never really been a big club person anyway but I tried to go out a few times, and it was fun, but each time I was the most drunk. And the last time I lost all my friends and ended up crying and not knowing where I was causing me to get into a dodgy situation. Back home I always had someone taking care of me but now it’s all on me, which is understandable but if I get myself in that state then I’m gonna get myself in dodgy situations.
Anyway, my friends keep asking me to go out and it’s hard because I want to be social and have fun with them without getting completely drunk but also I don’t want to be in that environment anymore. Any tips?
mmm tricky. It's likely you may have an addictive personality? i.e you get addicted easily to stuff. (i believe it's genetic)
How often do you go out? Maybe try and make it less often? If you tell your friends about your dad etc. they will 100% understand I'm sure. And there are other ways to have fun that don't involve getting drunk.

Or you could just do dr*gs like md that aren't addictive (probably don't do this).
Last edited by Johnny Tightlips; 3 weeks ago
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can make a personal choice not to drink and, if clubbing isn't your thing, suggest other activities to do or expands your social circle to find more friends that have other interests that don't involve alcohol.
zozomatthews
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
aw
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (174)
66.92%
No (86)
33.08%

Watched Threads