studentsophie07
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
At Nat5 physics I got an A1 (87%) but i’m really struggling with the higher course. Due to my national 5 mark they have put me in the A team which I have asked to be removed from because it means I can’t attend supported studies however got told no. In the recent prelim we sat i got 45% which is extremely poor for me. I done alot of studying for the prelim and my efforts are not reflected in the mark. I done many pastpapers and flashcards.
Anybody sitting or has previously sat higher physics have any tips on how to study or any useful websites.
I need an A in this subject in order to go to university so any helo would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance from a struggling physics candidate
Advertisement
AC79
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi! I'm also doing Higher Physics this year but crashing it, I got 42% in my prelim and am looking for at least a B. I think it's unfair they are not allowing you to attend the study, is there absolutely no way to get in? speak to a teacher? get parents to talk to the school? or what happens if you just turn up, what are they going to do? My friend lended me the higher physics book by leckie and leckie and i found it really helped me, i didn't get a highe score in the prelim - i only studied for two days but that's another story - but found it greatly helped. maybe look for a tutor if all else fails?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by studentsophie07)
At Nat5 physics I got an A1 (87%) but i’m really struggling with the higher course. Due to my national 5 mark they have put me in the A team which I have asked to be removed from because it means I can’t attend supported studies however got told no. In the recent prelim we sat i got 45% which is extremely poor for me. I done alot of studying for the prelim and my efforts are not reflected in the mark. I done many pastpapers and flashcards.
Anybody sitting or has previously sat higher physics have any tips on how to study or any useful websites.
I need an A in this subject in order to go to university so any helo would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance from a struggling physics candidate
I'd agree with AC that it seems really unfair for your school to not let you attend supported study Definitely speak to your teacher again and if they're still not letting you, I'd encourage you to speak to your guidance teacher or someone higher up.
I'd recommend the How to Pass book in terms of the content/understanding aspects of the course, but for calculations, questions are what you need (in high quantities!).
This website has tonnes of past papers- http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/higher-revision/ (the revised higher is pretty close to the CfE one)
And this one also has some pretty good resources- https://smarshallsay.weebly.com/cfe-higher.html
Advertisement
studentsophie07
Rep:
?
(Original post by AC79)
Hi! I'm also doing Higher Physics this year but crashing it, I got 42% in my prelim and am looking for at least a B. I think it's unfair they are not allowing you to attend the study, is there absolutely no way to get in? speak to a teacher? get parents to talk to the school? or what happens if you just turn up, what are they going to do? My friend lended me the higher physics book by leckie and leckie and i found it really helped me, i didn't get a highe score in the prelim - i only studied for two days but that's another story - but found it greatly helped. maybe look for a tutor if all else fails?
I have bought quite a few textbooks but dont fond them as much help as i understand the basic knowledge to everything its just certain questions I’m completely frown of by and just don’t know what to write, looking for a tutor just not but mostly university students as opposed to experience teachers. Good luck crashing it!
studentsophie07
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
I'd agree with AC that it seems really unfair for your school to not let you attend supported study Definitely speak to your teacher again and if they're still not letting you, I'd encourage you to speak to your guidance teacher or someone higher up.
I'd recommend the How to Pass book in terms of the content/understanding aspects of the course, but for calculations, questions are what you need (in high quantities!).
This website has tonnes of past papers- http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/higher-revision/ (the revised higher is pretty close to the CfE one)
And this one also has some pretty good resources- https://smarshallsay.weebly.com/cfe-higher.html
I’m going to have a talk with my head of year about it tomorrow as I think its unfair especially because im wanting the help. Ill have a look at those websites and will look into purchasing that book!
Advertisement
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m going to have a talk with my head of year about it tomorrow as I think its unfair especially because im wanting the help. Ill have a look at those websites and will look into purchasing that book!
Sounds like a plan! There's usually copies available on sites like Gumtree/eBay, or if you're wanting a new one, you can get discounts if you've got a Young Scot card!
AC79
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have bought quite a few textbooks but dont fond them as much help as i understand the basic knowledge to everything its just certain questions I’m completely frown of by and just don’t know what to write, looking for a tutor just not but mostly university students as opposed to experience teachers. Good luck crashing it!
Yeah I understand. If they are very unwilling to let you attend the study, you could ask them for extra resources/ questions to work on and maybe ask if they would mark these with comments to improve on them?
Thank you!
Advertisement
Mr. Smith!
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have a Physics YouTube channel which I know will help - "Mr Smith's Physics online". It's free of adverts and has lots of lesson videos and past paper solutions. I don't make any money from it - just want to help people reach their potential and I realise not everyone can afford a tutor. If you find it useful then tell your classmates and remember to subscribe so you're made aware when new videos are brought out.

Good luck!
studentsophie07
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Mr. Smith!)
I have a Physics YouTube channel which I know will help - "Mr Smith's Physics online". It's free of adverts and has lots of lesson videos and past paper solutions. I don't make any money from it - just want to help people reach their potential and I realise not everyone can afford a tutor. If you find it useful then tell your classmates and remember to subscribe so you're made aware when new videos are brought out.

Good luck!
Thank you so much! Ill be sure to pass this onto my classmates as every little helps. We need more kind people like you in this world!
Thank you
Advertisement
Mr. Smith!
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Thank you so much! Ill be sure to pass this onto my classmates as every little helps. We need more kind people like you in this world!
Thank you
Thanks for the thanks!

I'm certainly not doing it for the money - glad to help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (407)
68.06%
No (191)
31.94%

Watched Threads