The Student Room Group

EPQ Advice

Is an EPQ worth it? I'm currently doing A-Level History, Sociology & Psychology & I'm torn about doing it. I know its more UCAS points but don't really know if it's worth the extra work alongside 3 A-Levels
EPQ is really good for learning how to research for and write essays in prep for uni. Some people do it because it’s more UCAS points (if your uni course does requirements by UCAS points), some unis will lower you required grades if you get an A in it, I did it because I’ve applied for vet med so it was a fab opportunity to prove my interest in the course for interviews. It’s up to you whether it will actually help you or not.
Original post by Torigracex
EPQ is really good for learning how to research for and write essays in prep for uni. Some people do it because it’s more UCAS points (if your uni course does requirements by UCAS points), some unis will lower you required grades if you get an A in it, I did it because I’ve applied for vet med so it was a fab opportunity to prove my interest in the course for interviews. It’s up to you whether it will actually help you or not.

Okay, Thank you so much! I was thinking of doing it related to ideal career etc to go alongside my Psych A level. If you dont mind me asking, what did you do yours on? x
Original post by ben_golding45
Okay, Thank you so much! I was thinking of doing it related to ideal career etc to go alongside my Psych A level. If you dont mind me asking, what did you do yours on? x

No problem! Ive done mine on The reason for the shortage of veterinary surgeons in Britain and what’s being done to tackle it x
Honestly I had a great time doing my EPQ last year, because I chose something I was genuinely passionate about. Since you're doing three subjects which all have essay components to them and you want to study Psych further it would be a great chance to see if you actually do like your subject and would enjoy studying it at university. Some people find it just clicks with them, and others realise half way through that they actually don't like the subject they were considering studying-and even if you end up not enjoying what you chose, it's still an important lesson in essay deadlines and writing skills! It's so much more independent than anything else given at school and with EPQs unlike the IB's EE you basically have as far as scope as possible to go for with your title. Just a friendly note though that (at least in my school) your title couldn't be about anything related to something you've learnt in one of your subjects! For example, my EPQ title was 'The success of economic policies used to control Hong Kong’s integration back into mainland China before and beyond 1997' (I know, catchy right? XD) and I've applied for Geography. Since we never directly cover economics, I knew this would be safe route to go whilst still being able to apply ideas I had learnt in the Geography course, like industrialisation, inequality and socio-political factors etc. etc.

If you're not sure what you want to write about, a good idea is to maybe go on YouTube and just search psychology related videos. My whole inspiration for my title, for example, came from a VOX video called 'How China is erasing its border with Hong Kong.' It was just a short ten minute video but was well researched, filmed beautifully and essentially ended up forming the base of my whole title. It's not for everyone though-I definitely do see it more positively than some of my friends cause I chose a title I liked and like essay writing anyways!

And yes it does help a lot with UCAS-a lot of universities are even starting to accept it as its own standalone thing ie. 2 A s in A Levels and an A in your EPQ, rather than 3 A s or something. It's great!
Original post by Torigracex
No problem! Ive done mine on The reason for the shortage of veterinary surgeons in Britain and what’s being done to tackle it x

Okay, Thank you! Some unis seem to really like it where as some don’t really seem too fussed. How did you find it alongside the A levels you were doing
Original post by LadySnowhawk
Honestly I had a great time doing my EPQ last year, because I chose something I was genuinely passionate about. Since you're doing three subjects which all have essay components to them and you want to study Psych further it would be a great chance to see if you actually do like your subject and would enjoy studying it at university. Some people find it just clicks with them, and others realise half way through that they actually don't like the subject they were considering studying-and even if you end up not enjoying what you chose, it's still an important lesson in essay deadlines and writing skills! It's so much more independent than anything else given at school and with EPQs unlike the IB's EE you basically have as far as scope as possible to go for with your title. Just a friendly note though that (at least in my school) your title couldn't be about anything related to something you've learnt in one of your subjects! For example, my EPQ title was 'The success of economic policies used to control Hong Kong’s integration back into mainland China before and beyond 1997' (I know, catchy right? XD) and I've applied for Geography. Since we never directly cover economics, I knew this would be safe route to go whilst still being able to apply ideas I had learnt in the Geography course, like industrialisation, inequality and socio-political factors etc. etc.

If you're not sure what you want to write about, a good idea is to maybe go on YouTube and just search psychology related videos. My whole inspiration for my title, for example, came from a VOX video called 'How China is erasing its border with Hong Kong.' It was just a short ten minute video but was well researched, filmed beautifully and essentially ended up forming the base of my whole title. It's not for everyone though-I definitely do see it more positively than some of my friends cause I chose a title I liked and like essay writing anyways!

And yes it does help a lot with UCAS-a lot of universities are even starting to accept it as its own standalone thing ie. 2 A s in A Levels and an A in your EPQ, rather than 3 A s or something. It's great!

Thank you so much I think I’m gonna go for it! X
Original post by ben_golding45
Okay, Thank you! Some unis seem to really like it where as some don’t really seem too fussed. How did you find it alongside the A levels you were doing

I do the three sciences and honestly EPQ is not much extra hassle. I did the bulk of my research at the end of year 12 so I got ahead of everyone else, and during UCAS process I’ve done very little EPQ for months yet am still on track to finish on time, so I’d recommend getting ahead while you can, if you can! It seems daunting researching and writing a 5000 word essay at first but once you get the hang of it it doesn’t add much pressure to the workload really x

Quick Reply