The Student Room Group

How do I actually revise?

I’ve always been pretty motivated to study and revise, and I even enjoyed it at times. But I feel like I’ve hit a dead end. I actually have no idea how to effectively revise. I feel like whatever I do I’m making no progress ☹️. Any tips would be appreciated :smile:
Practice papers!!! Make sure you have the mark schemes as well so that you can get to know how the examiners think and what kind of language they want you to use. Then, if you run out of past paper questions, write your own and maybe hand them in for your teacher to mark (if they have the time to)- if not, self mark!
Original post by s_misery
I’ve always been pretty motivated to study and revise, and I even enjoyed it at times. But I feel like I’ve hit a dead end. I actually have no idea how to effectively revise. I feel like whatever I do I’m making no progress ☹️. Any tips would be appreciated :smile:

Hello,

What subjects are you currently studying, firstly? Like someone else has mentioned past papers are good, however, they are only useful once you've learnt the content. Don't waste the papers as they are a great resource to use when it gets closer to the exams.

Have you started to create revision resources? How is that going?
Reply 3
Original post by Hazelly
Hello,

What subjects are you currently studying, firstly? Like someone else has mentioned past papers are good, however, they are only useful once you've learnt the content. Don't waste the papers as they are a great resource to use when it gets closer to the exams.

Have you started to create revision resources? How is that going?

For my GCSE options I do psychology, sociology, history, French and triple science (on top of the compulsory maths and English obviously). I’ve tried a bunch of revision techniques and none of them seem to be working very well. I’ve tried rewriting my class notes but I’ve started to feel like I’m wasting my time. I’ve done flashcards and a couple mindmaps, and they sort of work. But the idea of having to make so many is terrifying to me and that’s starting to demotivate me :frown:

Hi there @s_misery

I found revision easier to study if I Studied SMART Not Longer:

o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.
M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinaesthetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself.
A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.
R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.
T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

It's best to keep your revision sessions short and effective, so 40 minutes of studying and then 20 minutes off.

Hopefully this helps a little!

Good luck!

Fi :horse:

It's been said time and time again, based on research, that writing notes and highlighting is a waste of time. As others have said, the best revision is doing problems and past papers.
Reply 6
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there @s_misery

I found revision easier to study if I Studied SMART Not Longer:

o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.
M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinaesthetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself.
A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.
R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.
T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

It's best to keep your revision sessions short and effective, so 40 minutes of studying and then 20 minutes off.

Hopefully this helps a little!

Good luck!

Fi :horse:

That’s very useful advice, thank you! I feel like I’ve been setting myself unrealistic expectations - I feel like I’ve made no progress if I don’t revise for 3 hours straight! I’ll try to take breaks more.
Reply 7
For the STEM subjects I always found reading revision books much better than watching youtube videos. For me, it just remains in my memory much longer if I read it from a book.
That’s very useful advice, thank you! I feel like I’ve been setting myself unrealistic expectations - I feel like I’ve made no progress if I don’t revise for 3 hours straight! I’ll try to take breaks more.

Great to see this has been of help

If you need any other help just give us a message!
:biggrin:
Original post by 0le
For the STEM subjects I always found reading revision books much better than watching youtube videos. For me, it just remains in my memory much longer if I read it from a book.

Very good advice! Too many students today expect to reap the rewards without any effort. For them YouTube seems heaven sent. Just chill watching a few videos, and get an A*. Yes books take a lot more effort, but they work. As the saying goes, no pain no gain!
What resources do you have available?
Computer, teachers, books?

When are you most awake?

My advice is write everything down. Then rewrite it. Then write it all again until it sticks.

Of course, this method is extreme but until I figured out that I have a visual memory and I could simply just draw something and remember it forever this was the only thing that worked.

However if you're visual like me the try drawing cartoons like: an ant that is holding a sign agenst depression while also holding a beer and smoking a cigarette.- antidepressant, such as nicotine and alcohol.
Original post by salsawoman
What resources do you have available?
Computer, teachers, books?

When are you most awake?

My advice is write everything down. Then rewrite it. Then write it all again until it sticks.

Of course, this method is extreme but until I figured out that I have a visual memory and I could simply just draw something and remember it forever this was the only thing that worked.

However if you're visual like me the try drawing cartoons like: an ant that is holding a sign agenst depression while also holding a beer and smoking a cigarette.- antidepressant, such as nicotine and alcohol.

Do not follow this advice! As I've said, research indicates that this is a waste of time. Students may think it's effective, but they are just fooling themselves.
My tip: have a look at The Learning Scientists website - they've uploaded some detailed PDF posters of six learning strategies that are based on evidence, and have been shown to be really effective. Some of them have been mentioned above by others, but I love the posters as a starting point. Each one explains how to use that particular technique, and practical tips for how to incorporate them into your revision. That's half the battle.

Depending on the type of content you're trying to learn, you might need a different combination of strategies - we're all different, and you'll need to find what clicks for you. i.e. for some subjects/topics you might use a combination of visual representations of the concept (diagrams, flow charts) and writing some prompt questions alongside your notes to help you think about the ideas more deeply, and past paper questions.

One other thing I'd say is figuring out where you are on the understanding vs learning scale - if you're studying a topic and you understand it (it all makes sense when you read your notes), then you can work on starting to learn/recall those ideas and deepening that understanding. If you're struggling to grasp something, start there - like others have said, lots of resources to help you with that (reading the textbook/revision guide to put it in context, youtube tutorial videos, asking on TSR) before trying to memorise things that don't make enough sense to you yet.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending