Applied as a mature student for criminogy degrees am I wasting my time?

Watch
Maturestudent87
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I've applied to a number of universities for Criminology and security studies type degrees and whilst I'm excited at prospect I'm also nervous! I'll be 32 at time degree starts and I'm acutely aware in this field of study I will be potentially competing with people 13 years younger than me and part of my wonders if I'm kidding myself? Between now and September I'm doing a few short courses in relevant subjects for the degree as I want to be as prepared as I can but I'm still wondering if I'll still be at a disadvantage.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of being a mature student studying this type of degree and any handy tips or words of encouragement would be appreciated or even just brutal honesty lol
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Maturestudent87)
I've applied to a number of universities for Criminology and security studies type degrees and whilst I'm excited at prospect I'm also nervous! I'll be 32 at time degree starts and I'm acutely aware in this field of study I will be potentially competing with people 13 years younger than me and part of my wonders if I'm kidding myself? Between now and September I'm doing a few short courses in relevant subjects for the degree as I want to be as prepared as I can but I'm still wondering if I'll still be at a disadvantage.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of being a mature student studying this type of degree and any handy tips or words of encouragement would be appreciated or even just brutal honesty lol
Why would you be at a disadvantage?
Change your attitude and perspective to someone confident in their abilities.
You dont think you might have more skills and experience than an 18 year old?
Oldest person on TSR studying for a degree has been 70.
If you havent done any study for a while you might be rusty on some study techniques, but plenty of time to relearn those between now and Sept 2020.

I would be more aware of what jobs are available in your sector and the employment prospects irrespective of age.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ee/criminology
donz_8
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I am applying for Psychology I have these thoughts also HOWEVER I am 48 😬🙄😊
JemimaJ
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I will be 51 when I return to university and I have applied for criminology and criminal justice offender management. I think we have a lot to offer, I know I do when it comes to studying because when I with younger students on my access course I have a different view on life than they do. They come at things from a unique perspective to me, but we all learn from each other.

Do not write yourself off, you have a lot to offer.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m 24 and I’m considering doing a palmistry course next year.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
ooh look 9 months ago and he types a thread but never comes back to it.....
Maturestudent87
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by JemimaJ)
I will be 51 when I return to university and I have applied for criminology and criminal justice offender management. I think we have a lot to offer, I know I do when it comes to studying because when I with younger students on my access course I have a different view on life than they do. They come at things from a unique perspective to me, but we all learn from each other.

Do not write yourself off, you have a lot to offer
Thank you I bit the bullet and went for it and love the course. I am the only mature student on my course as in over 25 (I'm 33 now) but I do agree I have a different perspective than theirs and it gives area for discussion.

I think I was weary because I was walking away from a career in health care and I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing but I'm confident I've made the right choice now 😊

Good luck with your course too!
Maturestudent87
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
I’m 24 and I’m considering doing a palmistry course next year.
I'd say go for it! I held off for so long to prioritise other things and I wish I hadn't. I gained some great skills elsewhere but definitely glad I'm doing what I'm doing now.

Good Luck
Maturestudent87
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
ooh look 9 months ago and he types a thread but never comes back to it.....
Thank you for your constructive criticism I will take that on board. I never replied 9 months ago because I didn't realise someone had replied that time I must have missed it but kudos to you for pointing it out 😊
Maturestudent87
Rep:
?
(Original post by donz_8)
I am applying for Psychology I have these thoughts also HOWEVER I am 48 😬🙄😊
I know it was 9 months ago but did you go ahead with the course? Hope you did I did and I don't regret a thing although the whole university thing is a little different now with minimal on campus contact it is a little more difficult now to feel getting the full contact with lecturers. Good luck!
Arden University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maturestudent87)

Maturestudent87
I'm a mature student, 33, just finishing off my MSc in Psychology and I am one of the youngest on my course I was really surprised. I did my BA in Sociology so know a bit about the social sciences. I would say that having that extra life experience will really help with Criminology - if you wanted a head start have a read up on Jeremy Bentham, Cesare Lombroso, and James Q Wilson who are notable criminologists who look at criminality very differently from each other.

In terms of employment, typical routes that criminology students take have a fondness for life experience - particularly the police

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
JemimaJ
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just wanted to shout out * I have received two offers today*, one from Leicester and one from Staffordshire to study criminology. I am waiting for three to come back but to have received two is amazing, am shaking some two hours later and not getting on with my access work assignment!
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JemimaJ)
Just wanted to shout out * I have received two offers today*, one from Leicester and one from Staffordshire to study criminology. I am waiting for three to come back but to have received two is amazing, am shaking some two hours later and not getting on with my access work assignment!
Hi JemimaJ

We just wanted to say congrats on your offer from Staffs!

Also, please don't be worry about being a mature student. We have a really diverse body of students across a wide range of ages and from a wide range of backgrounds - so you definitely won't be the only mature student on campus

Please give us a shout if we can help with anything or if you have any Qs

Thanks

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (233)
56.42%
I don't have everything I need (180)
43.58%

Watched Threads