Working in tech after MSc Computing + ICAEW ACA

Watch
RoundaboutRider
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Good afternoon all

What are the career prospects of working in tech after a postgraduate MSc in Computing at Open Uni? I’m a chartered accountant (ICAEW ACA) qualified for nearly 10 years after graduating from Warwick before then.

I was wondering what kind of roles I could get into in tech? I was aiming for some form of project management rather than pure coding but I’m open to ideas.

Any thoughts?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by RoundaboutRider)
Good afternoon all

What are the career prospects of working in tech after a postgraduate MSc in Computing at Open Uni? I’m a chartered accountant (ICAEW ACA) qualified for nearly 10 years after graduating from Warwick before then.

I was wondering what kind of roles I could get into in tech? I was aiming for some form of project management rather than pure coding but I’m open to ideas.

Any thoughts?
What sort of work have you done for the past few years? There is a huge amount of work in ERP projects at the moment which could suit?
RoundaboutRider
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
What sort of work have you done for the past few years? There is a huge amount of work in ERP projects at the moment which could suit?
Right now my role is split between financial reporting for a FTSE250 company (at Group level) and actually implementing a new ERP for the corporate office. I was thinking an MSc in Computing might help tilt my career more towards tech rather than pure financial reporting which I find terribly dull (well, it’s been 13 years since graduation!).
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by RoundaboutRider)
Right now my role is split between financial reporting for a FTSE250 company (at Group level) and actually implementing a new ERP for the corporate office. I was thinking an MSc in Computing might help tilt my career more towards tech rather than pure financial reporting which I find terribly dull (well, it’s been 13 years since graduation!).
Financial reporting sounds like a prison! I’ll bet if you are brave and willing to take a short term pay cut you’ll be fine. Loads of systems work out there. The people I’ve met who have transferred to that line of work seem pretty happy.
RoundaboutRider
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Financial reporting sounds like a prison! I’ll bet if you are brave and willing to take a short term pay cut you’ll be fine. Loads of systems work out there. The people I’ve met who have transferred to that line of work seem pretty happy.
Without sounding ungrateful for the past 13 years of my career yeah financial reporting is pretty boring. My interest started waning after 10 and now I'm just tired of continually reading of the shift in preference to tech and systems while I sit on the sidelines. Hence I thought I might not be too late to catch the tech wave with an MSc in Computing.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sounds like a great option. I can’t even see a downside other than the time commitment. I thought about something similar (not IT) but procrastinated and basically lost the chance....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (290)
34.12%
No (560)
65.88%

Watched Threads