PizzaMan2989
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I would already consider myself an ok mathematician but I am considering a levels right now and I want to do Further maths as well. Firstly how do I secure a grade 9 for my GCSE's, if I don't get one I don't think id be confident enough to take further maths at a level and that wouldn't be great either because I want to be an engineer
sixdifferentways
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The absolute best advice I have received comes in two parts:

1) Practice papers and questions are the only worthwhile means of revision.

2) Make sure you have the first half of the paper NAILED- things like ratio, fractions, tree diagrams, compound interest etc- THEN move on to more difficult things. If you get just over 50% you’re already on a grade 7 and anything after that will only make your grade even higher
Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Moved this to the Maths forum for you
PizzaMan2989
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazelly)
Moved this to the Maths forum for you
Ah thank you!!
Bhaker_5x
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i am ok at maths but when it comes to the exams i blank out
any advice would be apreciated
Mona123456
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PizzaMan2989)
I would already consider myself an ok mathematician but I am considering a levels right now and I want to do Further maths as well. Firstly how do I secure a grade 9 for my GCSE's, if I don't get one I don't think id be confident enough to take further maths at a level and that wouldn't be great either because I want to be an engineer
For advice:

https://mathematicsadvice.weebly.com/#

You definitely want to be getting that 9 (and ideally taking further maths GCSE or add maths, or self teaching a bit/reading ahead over the Summer holidays) if you want to take further maths. As others have said, practice papers are your best friend, and do all the challenge/extension questions you can find, especially those from your textbook. Ask your teacher for extension homework or extra challenge questions if you’re fast in class and want to keep pushing yourself - but do nail the basics too. Make sure you go through the spec as there may be small things here are there (eg trend lines, capture-recapture etc) that teachers miss out. The website above has a page of advice specifically for grade 9 students. Best of luck!
PizzaMan2989
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mona123456)
For advice:

https://mathematicsadvice.weebly.com/#

You definitely want to be getting that 9 (and ideally taking further maths GCSE or add maths, or self teaching a bit/reading ahead over the Summer holidays) if you want to take further maths. As others have said, practice papers are your best friend, and do all the challenge/extension questions you can find, especially those from your textbook. Ask your teacher for extension homework or extra challenge questions if you’re fast in class and want to keep pushing yourself - but do nail the basics too. Make sure you go through the spec as there may be small things here are there (eg trend lines, capture-recapture etc) that teachers miss out. The website above has a page of advice specifically for grade 9 students. Best of luck!
Hi thank you for your reply, I am hoping to take the FSMQ as well, as we've already completed the GCSE course and also hope to practice that a ton.
Lenaa_x
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you honestly just need to bang out practice papers. When i did my GCSEs we had finished the syllabus in October so from then to may we did like 1/2 practice papers a week and i jumper from getting like 41/80 at the beginning of the year to 67-75/80 by march/april. Good luck to you
Mona123456
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi thank you for your reply, I am hoping to take the FSMQ as well, as we've already completed the GCSE course and also hope to practice that a ton.
Awesome! The FSMQ really helps - knowing the basics of calculus and advanced trig essentially means you’ve done most of AS pure maths, and makes year 1 of maths much much easier, so you can dedicate more time to further maths. Then for GCSE practice makes perfect - although the boundaries are reasonable. You can lose quite a few marks and still get a 9! Try not to worry too much - go through the spec and do lots of practice questions (especially challenge & extension stuff), but realistically you shouldn’t need to do too much extra work - it’s worth using that time on other GCSEs you struggle more with (in my case History lol - I remember there was so much content!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?