Help on SM1: Forces please - solved

Watch
jadonim
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Working on a question for Stats and Mechanics Year 1 Chapter 10;

Two particles A and B have masses 2m and 3m respectively. The particles are attached to
the ends of a light inextensible string. Particle A is held at rest on a smooth horizontal table.
The string passes over a small smooth pulley which is fixed at the edge of the table. Particle
B hangs at rest vertically below the pulley with the string taut, as shown in the figure above.
Particle A is released from rest. Assuming that A has not reached the pulley, find
(a) the acceleration of B and the tension in the string, (6)
(b) the magnitude and the direction of the force exerted on the pulley by the string. (5)
(Hint, the pulley is pulled directly in to the table at a 45◦ angle, so use some trigonometry
to find out how much of the tension acts in that direction)

Cheers
Last edited by jadonim; 8 months ago
mabutt1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jadonim)
Working on a question for Stats and Mechanics Year 1 Chapter 10;

Two particles A and B have masses 2m and 3m respectively. The particles are attached to
the ends of a light inextensible string. Particle A is held at rest on a smooth horizontal table.
The string passes over a small smooth pulley which is fixed at the edge of the table. Particle
B hangs at rest vertically below the pulley with the string taut, as shown in the figure above.
Particle A is released from rest. Assuming that A has not reached the pulley, find
(a) the acceleration of B and the tension in the string, (6)
(b) the magnitude and the direction of the force exerted on the pulley by the string. (5)
(Hint, the pulley is pulled directly in to the table at a 45◦ angle, so use some trigonometry
to find out how much of the tension acts in that direction)

a) Found myself with acceleration for B being 9.8 and therefore the tension being 0N... Am I wrong?

Cheers
Name:  15800476364586537392955875479047.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  120.9 KB
mabutt1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mabutt1)
Name:  15800476364586537392955875479047.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  120.9 KB
I have done many of these. There is not enough information to have an exact value for the tension.
mabutt1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I have done many of these. There is not enough information to have an exact value for the tension.
I have never been taught how to do part b. You probably have a different exam board to me. Hope this helps.
jadonim
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I have never been taught how to do part b. You probably have a different exam board to me. Hope this helps.
cheers mate, helps a lot 👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads