The Student Room Group

Is my boyfriend being honest?

I'm 26, he is 29, we've been together for 1.5 years, he introduced me to his parents early on and it is serious.. we plan to get married.

We spoke about past relationships the other day... he told me he had one that lasted 3 years through uni up until they graduated. And so he was single for 5-6 years before he met me. He told me it wasn't serious, they were childish and fooled around a lot as it was uni... he had a lot of fun at uni, and had gone from a sheltered upbringing to his first taste of freedom. He hid the relationship from his parents up until the end, as they are strict. But he told me he never considered marriage or anything like that.

Just wondering how a relationship lasting so long can be non serious? Especially as it was their first and presumably would've been in each other's pockets (same course, same friends etc)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 26, he is 29, we've been together for 1.5 years, he introduced me to his parents early on and it is serious.. we plan to get married.

We spoke about past relationships the other day... he told me he had one that lasted 3 years through uni up until they graduated. And so he was single for 5-6 years before he met me. He told me it wasn't serious, they were childish and fooled around a lot as it was uni... he had a lot of fun at uni, and had gone from a sheltered upbringing to his first taste of freedom. He hid the relationship from his parents up until the end, as they are strict. But he told me he never considered marriage or anything like that.

Just wondering how a relationship lasting so long can be non serious? Especially as it was their first and presumably would've been in each other's pockets (same course, same friends etc)

Haven't you posted this before?
It's uni, still not the real world. Not quite serious for many. It's a bit like a continuation of school relationships, which aren't exactly serious either
You have posted this at least 8 times since 2019. :nn:
Are you going to continue making online posts revolving around the theme of "WAS MY BF'S UNI RELATIONSHIP WITH HIS EX SERIOUS" for the rest of your life? :rolleyes:

If you have trust issues or problems getting your head around your bf's past relationships- discuss this with him face to face.
Yes, especially if his parents were strict he probably just wanted fun through uni
Reply 5
bump
Reply 6
bump

You don't need to bump it; not only is it against site rules after such a short time, you've had a shedload of answers on this in all your other posts on the same subject (also against site rules)....
bump

You just don't learn, do you???
Reply 8
??
Reply 9
omg nobody cares
Do you come from nice?
Do you come from nice?

no why
He's likely downplaying it to make you feel better.

I'd imagine it felt serious at the time, but in hindsight doesn't seem so important now.
Original post by sinfonietta
He's likely downplaying it to make you feel better.

I'd imagine it felt serious at the time, but in hindsight doesn't seem so important now.

I don't think he was because his friends all said the same
Reply 14
Do you come from nice?

The one from Nice is obsessed with her ex and his current girlfriend. Like "He gazes lovingly at her. He never did that with me, but we put pics on social media. We had more chemistry, right?" "He said it was love at first sight with her, but he messed up. We argued and I dumped him. But he should be with me because he followed me around at an event, right?"

This one complains that the 3 year relationship her current boyfriend had at uni couldn't possibly have been serious as he didn't tell his parents about it; never mind about love and trust and communication, a relationship is defined by whether or not you tell the parents!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending