Advice on getting into shape / bulking Watch

JimmyNeu
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m looking for some advice for bulking but maintaining a good body fat percentage without gaining mass stomach fat.

I’ve been lifting at the gym for a few months now and I’ve gone from 70kg to 80kg and I can see some progress by minor muscle gains but I’ve managed to put on excess stomach fat and my body fat has gone from about 14% to 20% and it’s making me look skinny fat as I am 6 ft 3.

I checked out my calorie calculator to work out what my maintenance was and it says around 2,700 calories a day, I’ve been clean bulking on about 2,700 - 3,200 depending on the day and going to the gym 4/5 days a week doing an hour lifting followed by swimming on some days. Somebody told me that I should reduce my calories to about 2,200 - 2,500 but then surely I won’t be gaining any muscle at all and I will lose all the muscle I’ve gained so far?

I’ve looking for some insight in how I can get my body fat back down to about 12% so I can see some ab definition but without killing all the gains I’ve done so far and affecting further gains.

Thank you
Schutz88
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At a beginner level it doesn't matter how fat you get. Just keep eating and exercising as hard as you can. What matters is if you can lift heavier weight than before. How much have your lifts gone up?
illusionz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you want to look better in the short term, keep lifting, with a sufficiently high protein intake and a mild calorie deficit and you won't lose any appreciable amount of muscle.

If you want the more long term focused approach, keep calories roughly steady and protein high and slowly recomp until you're more like 15%, then slowly bulk to avoid excess fat.

Ensure you have a sensible program focused on progressive overload.

Don't get fatter than you currently are, it's not healthy and just means you'll have to spend even longer cutting.
Mafiaboss2003
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hiya mate ,

what is your current body composition at if your body fat is above 20 percent i suggest you go for a cut and eat 2200 - 2500 a day and make sure you track your macros try going for 40% carbs 40 % protein and 20% fats . tracking your macros can be done through my fitness pal , try to eat whole foods and avoid process food

If your around 10 percent i recommend a bulk for sure but dont increase your calories dramatically build it up so yuor metabolism can adapt so you will build more muscle than fat

if you have any more question please ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (497)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.17%
No- I want it (235)
28.28%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.74%

Watched Threads