The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy work experience

Is it easy to get work experience as a physio.Currently in year 11 and want to get a week of workexperience in the summer but am not sure the nhs do this sort of thing.
Reply 1
NHS are a lot more difficult to get work experience with for Physiotherapy. They have different periods each year (1 week in February I think is one of them) were they take in groups for work experience. If your careers teacher is somewhat competent, they should tell you when this is and when you can do it but usually, you have to apply for it months in advance. Alternatively, call your local NHS hospital, I think they have a "work experience" extension when you call them.
Every hospital will have a work experience co-ordinator. This is usually one of the juniors who wants a bit of extra experience to put on their CV. Our trust has a co-ordinator lady and a junior. There won't be a work experience extension, or it is very unlikely, and there isn't a special week throughout the year. All the trusts I have worked at we take 2 students a month. I would suggest you go along personally to your local NHS trust, head to the physiotherapy outpatients department, and ask them for a contact of who co-ordinates work experience. They will likely not know, but they should be happy to provide you with the contact details of the Lead physiotherapist, and they will know. It is not difficult to get work experience - this misconception comes up time and time again on here. You just need to put a bit of effort in. We haven't had work experience students for a few months now as nobody has applied. We have one coming next week (we take ours at the start of the month). Had anyone approached us in the last few months they would have got a day or two with us at the drop of a hat.
Reply 3
Original post by Ironmike
Every hospital will have a work experience co-ordinator. This is usually one of the juniors who wants a bit of extra experience to put on their CV. Our trust has a co-ordinator lady and a junior. There won't be a work experience extension, or it is very unlikely, and there isn't a special week throughout the year. All the trusts I have worked at we take 2 students a month. I would suggest you go along personally to your local NHS trust, head to the physiotherapy outpatients department, and ask them for a contact of who co-ordinates work experience. They will likely not know, but they should be happy to provide you with the contact details of the Lead physiotherapist, and they will know. It is not difficult to get work experience - this misconception comes up time and time again on here. You just need to put a bit of effort in. We haven't had work experience students for a few months now as nobody has applied. We have one coming next week (we take ours at the start of the month). Had anyone approached us in the last few months they would have got a day or two with us at the drop of a hat.

I suppose it's just different with different places. I'm from Northern Ireland and I had to apply months in advance (I was told it was because of getting insurance). Also, we were told that this was one of the few times (other than NHS workshops) that we would be able to get work experience, although after reading your reply, I believe we may have been told this by our Careers teacher to get applications in quickly...
Original post by petben
I suppose it's just different with different places. I'm from Northern Ireland and I had to apply months in advance (I was told it was because of getting insurance). Also, we were told that this was one of the few times (other than NHS workshops) that we would be able to get work experience, although after reading your reply, I believe we may have been told this by our Careers teacher to get applications in quickly...

Fair enough, it may be different in different countries. I was lucky enough to have a good friend who was a senior physio when I needed experience back in the day, but he still needed to go through the proper procedures and I got in within a month or so from memory. For anyone reading this thread in the UK, do as above. A bit of initiative and you will get a contact. In the event of not getting one, go to your next nearest NHS trust. If you are in London, I would put money on that if you went to three Physiotherapy outpatient departments as per above you would have at least one offer of work experience within a couple of months.
Ring up your local hospital and ask for HR and explain you would like to set up some work expreince. You will only be allowed to do 2 days in a hospital. Do you not have a careers advisor or tutor that you could help you? There will be forms and references etc for you to fill in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending