conditional offer and the course ends up in clearing? Watch

MrXtra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Long winded but bare with me.
If a course ends up in clearing and you applied and don’t get the grades can you get in?
Scenario to help understand:
X has a place at Uni of York for BA Geography. X’s offer was AAB. However, X only achieved BBB. But the course has gone into clearing and the entry requirements for clearing is BBC. Would X still get in?
remussjhj01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Theoretically, I guess so. If the clearing requirements were BBC and you got BBB, you would meet those requirements.
You would have to apply through clearing though, they wouldn't give everyone who got the clearing grades or above an offer. Also, whilst I guess it would work in theory, in practice I don't know how it would work or if they would take you.
2500_2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They will have made their choice as far as acceptable grades for the course in clearing BEFORE results day (don't forget they get Alevel results before you do). If they were happy to accept BBC from clearing applicants then they would allow X to keep his place even though he missed his conditional offer with BBB - he wouldn't have to apply in clearing.
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As above, the Uni will more than likely have made their decision whether to admit you by the time you receive your results.

If the course is in clearing, then it’s a sign they are more likely to be flexible, but it’s not a guarantee that you’ll get in as it depends on your grades and where they decide the cutoff is going to be.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Universities are often more flexible with the grades they’ll accept from firm applicants (who are less risky in terms of dropping out) than the grades they’ll take through clearing.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MrXtra)
Long winded but bare with me.
If a course ends up in clearing and you applied and don’t get the grades can you get in?
Scenario to help understand:
X has a place at Uni of York for BA Geography. X’s offer was AAB. However, X only achieved BBB. But the course has gone into clearing and the entry requirements for clearing is BBC. Would X still get in?
If the uni had made the decision that their cut off point in Clearing was going to be BBC or even BBB they would offer X a place. They don’t show a preference for Clearing applicants over people who Firmed or Insured them
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would just like to add that it is in the university's best interest to accept someone who has already applied rather than risk whether they can find someone suitable in clearing. Most universities accept applicants with dropped grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?