The Student Room Group

I want to be vegan! 🌱 But where do I start?

As yall know, the environment is in danger so I want to play my part in becoming vegan from September 2020 when I go to uni. But idk where do begin. Obviously, I need to do more than becoming a vegan to help out but less meat is good. Recommendations for meals? 🍽
Reply 1
i would suggest going veggie first as it is a huge step and your body needs to figure this change out too. some good things to swap around are soya milk and spread and then slowly phasing out other dairy and meats...
Original post by Olivia.Omo16
As yall know, the environment is in danger so I want to play my part in becoming vegan from September 2020 when I go to uni. But idk where do begin. Obviously, I need to do more than becoming a vegan to help out but less meat is good. Recommendations for meals? 🍽

Why don't you just eat less meat. And make any meat choices organic. The vegan diet is quite hard to do and dare I say it a bit trendy. Also ---- full of additives and E numbers as documented in this weeks press

I myself am veggie during the week and eat meat - although not much at the weekends. I find my taste for meat has declined and I would rather have a piece of fish
Original post by Olivia.Omo16

i recommend the cookbook BOSH. Get some VEGAN BLOCK as a substitute for butter. Try OATLY BARISTA in coffee. You can try all the nut milks but I prefer the oat milks. You use them in just the same way as milk in sauces. Breakfast: avocado on toast, or refried beans and cheese on tortilla, muesli with oat milk, oat breakfast pots, smoothies. Lunch: soup, salads, mushrooms/ tomatoes on toast; dinner stir fry veg, buddha bowls, pasta and tomato based sauces, veg curries and dahl. Learn to make a lovely chocolate mousse with avocado, dates and cacao powder. There is so much available now. The danger is that you can eat too many processed foods- the packet vegan stuff and "cheeses". Just base everything around the vegetables you love and you'll be fine.
Original post by Brightonmama
i recommend the cookbook BOSH. Get some VEGAN BLOCK as a substitute for butter. Try OATLY BARISTA in coffee. You can try all the nut milks but I prefer the oat milks. You use them in just the same way as milk in sauces. Breakfast: avocado on toast, or refried beans and cheese on tortilla, muesli with oat milk, oat breakfast pots, smoothies. Lunch: soup, salads, mushrooms/ tomatoes on toast; dinner stir fry veg, buddha bowls, pasta and tomato based sauces, veg curries and dahl. Learn to make a lovely chocolate mousse with avocado, dates and cacao powder. There is so much available now. The danger is that you can eat too many processed foods- the packet vegan stuff and "cheeses". Just base everything around the vegetables you love and you'll be fine.

ps. I am not vegan. I'm flexitarian! But I try to base most of my meals around plants and fruit. I do eat cheese occasionally. I'd rather compromise a bit than get miserable sticking to a label. Good luck. Enjoy it x
Do you research really well first - learn about nutrition and how you can get enough protein, iron, B12 etc. from non-animal sources. I also second going veggie first before going vegan.

Brightonmama has given you great advice about meals, and I don't have much to add. I also recommend oat milk, but almond milk and cashew milk are very nice too. Coconut-based yoghurt tastes better than soya-based yoghurt. In my opinion, all meat substitutes taste awful and are full of salt and E numbers so I avoid. Lentils and beans are great sources of protein and count as one of your five a day, so I would suggest looking up recipes based on them (for uni, I would recommend Dahl, chilli, and lentil soup as they are all cheap and easy to make).

PS: I am also flexitarian and not vegan

Quick Reply

Latest