CharG3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
so basically I only achieved one higher (grade B) in s5 because I was doing like nat4's in s4 and slowly worked my way through there. now that I'm in s6 doing 4 highers and one advanced, do unis look at my previous achieved highers and are likely to give me a place in a course or a conditional offer or get rejected?
Last edited by CharG3; 3 weeks ago
AC79
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, usually unis look at higher grades which you have achieved, in your case they may look at your predicted grades to decide on offers too. The only problem would be if they wanted more than one advanced higher but it depends what course you apply to.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CharG3)
so basically I only achieved one higher (grade B) in s5 because I was doing like nat4's in s4 and slowly worked my way through there. now that I'm in s6 doing 4 highers and one advanced, do unis look at my previous achieved highers and are likely to give me a place in a course or a conditional offer or get rejected?
If you're on track to meet their required grades, then you've definitely got a chance of getting a conditional offer, as the majority of uni courses only need highers
CharG3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
If you're on track to meet their required grades, then you've definitely got a chance of getting a conditional offer, as the majority of uni courses only need highers
for predicted grades, I got like all 5 B's and I really wanted to get into Edinburgh for medical sciences which requires like 3A's and 2B's which I can get if I work hard enough but I don't think I would get an offer from them, but I've applied to Napier which I need 3B's to get into my chosen course.
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
for predicted grades, I got like all 5 B's and I really wanted to get into Edinburgh for medical sciences which requires like 3A's and 2B's which I can get if I work hard enough but I don't think I would get an offer from them, but I've applied to Napier which I need 3B's to get into my chosen course.
Wait and see what happens with your offer from Edinburgh- a prediction of 5 Bs isn't a million miles off AAABB, and though a lot of their courses are competitive, there's nothing wrong with (I would actively encourage) having one of your 5 choices being an aspirational one. If they do end up rejecting you and you do get the grades, you could always reapply, though I would caution against pinning hope on a single university, especially if you've (by that point) got offers from elsewhere.

EDIT: I was just having a look at Edinburgh's Medical Sciences course and the website suggests entry requirements are ABBBB or AABB (achieved in S4-6, with at least BBB in one go)?? Unless it's their medicine degree you've applied for, in which case they will be looking for advanced highers?
Last edited by Labrador99; 3 weeks ago
CharG3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
Wait and see what happens with your offer from Edinburgh- a prediction of 5 Bs isn't a million miles off AAABB, and though a lot of their courses are competitive, there's nothing wrong with (I would actively encourage) having one of your 5 choices being an aspirational one. If they do end up rejecting you and you do get the grades, you could always reapply, though I would caution against pinning hope on a single university, especially if you've (by that point) got offers from elsewhere.

EDIT: I was just having a look at Edinburgh's Medical Sciences course and the website suggests entry requirements are ABBBB or AABB (achieved in S4-6, with at least BBB in one go)?? Unless it's their medicine degree you've applied for, in which case they will be looking for advanced highers?
oh, I probably misspelt the grades, yea ABBBB or AABB for medical sciences, not medicine. You mentioned reapplying is that for next year or can I do I right after I get the grades. I think its next year though.
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
oh, I probably misspelt the grades, yea ABBBB or AABB for medical sciences, not medicine. You mentioned reapplying is that for next year or can I do I right after I get the grades. I think its next year though.
Aah, that makes more sense

Presumably you have already sent off your UCAS application (for September 2020 start) and are waiting to hear back?
If you did have to reapply, you'd submit a brand new application to UCAS by 15th January 2021 (for a September 2021 start), by which point you would also have your results...Don't worry too much on that front just now- if you've already applied then just doing your best at school while waiting on the decisions coming in is as much as you need for now! I mentioned it mainly as even if things don't go to plan this year, if it's what you want to do, with a bit of persistence there can be other ways of getting there
CharG3
Rep:
?
Oh ok, I understand now. I'm not thinking about reapplying or taking a gap year, just need to do my best in school and wait for decisions. Anyways thank you so much for helping!
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh ok, I understand now. I'm not thinking about reapplying or taking a gap year, just need to do my best in school and wait for decisions. Anyways thank you so much for helping!
No problem at all- you've got this :yep: :rave:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (392)
67.47%
No (189)
32.53%

Watched Threads