BigM00se
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, I got an offer from Brighton and Sussex Medical School. I was pretty excited, it was my first choice, but one of my friends said that he knows someone who goes to Sussex and she found it really difficult with accommodation from second year.

I know Brighton is very expensive, especially compared to my second choice, Newcastle. Im just a little worried because my friend said that the quality of student houses in Brighton is quite poor. Like mould and mice everywhere. But then another friend (who's dad lets out student houses, funnily enough) says all student houses have them and its just something to live with.

I dont know the first thing about student housing, and I like having a clean, nice habitable place to live. I couldn't deal with accommodation problems well. It would probably stress me tf out. Especially for 5+ years. It seems weird to me that 'every student house has mice and mould' like why should anyone put up with that?

idk im going on a tangent here but im just a bit worried about finding good, clean accommodation in Brighton, and im just looking for reassurance. So any current Sussex/Brighton students have any experience with the student housing market they can share?

Thx
LucyHatesEnglish
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! You are right Brighton is very expensive compared to other unis. You need to be prepared to pay at least £140 a week including bills and wifi and that really is at the low end of the market. This doesn't seem that bad compared to uni accommodation but remember most houses are a year contract while halls are only for 9 months. Also, you'd have to factor in the cost of getting the bus to uni (£3.60 currently for 24 hours of bus use). So around another £10 a week just to get to uni. In my opinion, most uni houses are run-down places. I wouldn't say Brighton is particularly worse than other areas but considering they cost so much more than other places it definitely cuts deeper that you pay so much for a sub-par house. It is more common for uni houses to experience mould and mice but I wouldn't just accept that as true for all. We turned down a house the other day for next year because we smelt damp... You have to look around and ask the right questions to find a good house. This is standard with any accommodation. I would look into your finances though, I'm with a group that come from very wealthy backgrounds and so they don't care about price. Meanwhile, I get no help from home and I'm definitely stressed about affording accommodation next year. I wish I looked into it a bit more before starting and I'd encourage you to think about these things briefly. If money isn't an issue then I'd say definitely don't worry about the quality of housing compared to other unis. I love Sussex uni and the Brighton area. It really is a great place to spend your uni years. If there's not much in it between Brighton and Newcastle then maybe this could be something that sways you but honestly, I love Sussex uni so although its a struggle for affordable housing I don't regret my choice now I'm here! Hope this helped, feel free to ask me anything else about Sussex uni or Brighton.
excitedpresent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BigM00se)
Hey, I got an offer from Brighton and Sussex Medical School. I was pretty excited, it was my first choice, but one of my friends said that he knows someone who goes to Sussex and she found it really difficult with accommodation from second year.

I know Brighton is very expensive, especially compared to my second choice, Newcastle. Im just a little worried because my friend said that the quality of student houses in Brighton is quite poor. Like mould and mice everywhere. But then another friend (who's dad lets out student houses, funnily enough) says all student houses have them and its just something to live with.

I dont know the first thing about student housing, and I like having a clean, nice habitable place to live. I couldn't deal with accommodation problems well. It would probably stress me tf out. Especially for 5+ years. It seems weird to me that 'every student house has mice and mould' like why should anyone put up with that?

idk im going on a tangent here but im just a bit worried about finding good, clean accommodation in Brighton, and im just looking for reassurance. So any current Sussex/Brighton students have any experience with the student housing market they can share?

Thx
As the other post has said, yep, Brighton housing is rough. They're not all like that, but if you want a decent place in second year you'll have to pay more and be further away from Uni.
On a brighter note, there is a way to get accommodation. You have to apply to be a residential advisor. It's the only way to get accommodation for the third and second year.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago

Thx
Hey not all Brighton Accommodation is rough, but it can be expensive. Have a look at Private Purpose Built Student Accommodation too, as this is rarely mentioned in University Accommodation sites. Pavilion Point and Abacus House are near to the city centre for shops, bars and the seafront, and have a mix of all years and Universities and Colleges within. Scape, Hollingbury house, Student Castle are further up the Lewes Road, so near to the Sussex Uni but away from the fun. Many have social spaces and some even have a Residents Gym. Hope that helps.
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Thx
Hey BigM00se thanks for your question. I realise it was from a while ago now but as a current Sussex student, I can share some of my housing experiences and advice.

I completely understand where you're coming from, I was quite anxious myself about accommodation post-first year when applying to uni since yeah there are a lot of bad reviews online. Admittedly there are some housing agents which sell below standard properties, so I'd highly recommend reading as many reviews as you can online from trusted sources and from anyone you may know who's already at university. Google Reviews can sometimes be artificially inflated so although they can shed some light, I would definitely look at more trusted platforms like Trustpilot, here on TSR and from word of mouth where possible.

However, having said that not all student housing is bad. You do need to be careful but there are plenty of good options available too. I'd say that as long as you start looking for housing in advance, view plenty of properties and do your research you should be fine. Rightmove, Zoopla and Sturents are all great sites for when looking for housing. Sussex Students Union also offers its own lettings service and they are the only student run letting agency in Brighton. They're committed to only working with trusted landlords with a good reputation and you can find the link to their website here: https://sussexstudentlettings.com/

You are right in the fact that Brighton housing in more expensive than most other student cities. Many students therefore get a part time job and as a BSMS student, I imagine you would be eligible to work for either Sussex or Brighton University and also for either Students Union. Each year there are plenty of student jobs available and the great thing about doing them in a university environment is that it's quite easy to tailor your hours around your timetable, making these opportunities quite flexible. Additionally there are always vacancies available in the heart of Brighton too in various shops / restaurants / cafes etc. So although it is very important to be aware of the high living costs in Brighton, there are ways to support yourself during your time at university which really help.

I hope that's provided some insight but if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

- Isthiak (BA History with Proficiency in Arabic, with a Professional Placement Year)
Last edited by University of Sussex Official Reps; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise