Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://imgur.com/a/lJE8OI9

force for P where left is positive: T - (mu)R = 3(0.5)
T - (mu)3g = 3(0.5)

force for Q where downwards is positive: mu x 3g is there because of the friction from the table
2g - T - (mu)(3g) = 2x0.5

equation 1 - equation 2:
2T - 2g = 0.5
I know this is wrong because when i solve again to find mu its not 0.54, where am i going wrong? thanks
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
https://imgur.com/a/lJE8OI9

force for P where left is positive: T - (mu)R = 3(0.5)
T - (mu)3g = 3(0.5)

force for Q where downwards is positive: mu x 3g is there because of the friction from the table
2g - T - (mu)(3g) = 2x0.5

equation 1 - equation 2:
2T - 2g = 0.5
I know this is wrong because when i solve again to find mu its not 0.54, where am i going wrong? thanks
Q isn't on the table so I am not sure why you're including a frictional force on it coming from the table.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Q isn't on the table so I am not sure why you're including a frictional force on it coming from the table.
but isnt the frictional force of the other particle pulling particle Q upwards? adding to the tension?
Gent2324
Rep:
?
i also tried doing 2g-t = 1 and subbing that value of T into the other equation gives the wrong value (using mu as 0.54)
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
but isnt the frictional force of the other particle pulling particle Q upwards? adding to the tension?
No. The frictional force only acts on P, and hence it affects what T is. And so you don't need to include it because its effect is drilled into T already.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i also tried doing 2g-t = 1 and subbing that value of T into the other equation gives the wrong value (using mu as 0.54)
Their value for mu is a misprint. You should work it out to be \mu \approx 0.58.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Their value for mu is a misprint. You should work it out to be \mu \approx 0.58.
i got 0.58 originally then i thought i must be doing something wrong...

No. The frictional force only acts on P, and hence it affects what T is. And so you don't need to include it because its effect is drilled into T already.
since thats the case, with my 2 equations are there actually 2 different T's? where T2 = T1 + (Mu)R?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i got 0.58 originally then i thought i must be doing something wrong...

since thats the case, with my 2 equations are there actually 2 different T's? where T2 = T1 + (Mu)R?
No.. there is only one tension.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
No.. there is only one tension.
im confused because the frictional force on P impacts the motion of Q but its not included in the equation.
when P is going across the force bringing it to the left is the tension subtract the frictional force. so how can the tension include the frictional force from P when talking about the motion on Q when in the equation for P it is not included since you have to subtract the frictional force?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im confused because the frictional force on P impacts the motion of Q but its not included in the equation.
when P is going across the force bringing it to the left is the tension subtract the frictional force. so how can the tension include the frictional force from P when talking about the motion on Q when in the equation for P it is not included since you have to subtract the frictional force?
Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant.

Isolate the particle P for now. We have a tension force T and an opposing force of friction. This tension must be some particular value. If we make the surface smooth, so there is no friction, then the tension must decrease if the particle is to accelerate at 0.5 m/s^2 still.

So clearly, the tension adapts in response to us varying friction if we impose the condition of acceleration at 0.5 m/s^2.

Hence, if we consider the particle Q now, it's upwards force is already changing we as we change the friction. This is the effect I am talking about.

But at the end of the day, you literally just need to use the fact that tension in the string is the same throughout, and on particle Q there are ONLY two forces; tension and weight. Don't even try to justify a term for friction, unless the air is made out rubber or something!
Last edited by RDKGames; 1 year ago
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant.

Isolate the particle P for now. We have a tension force T and an opposing force of friction. This tension must be some particular value. If we make the surface smooth, so there is no friction, then the tension must decrease if the particle is to accelerate at 0.5 m/s^2 still.

So clearly, the tension adapts in response to us varying friction if we impose the condition of acceleration at 0.5 m/s^2.

Hence, if we consider the particle Q now, it's upwards force is already changing we as we change the friction. This is the effect I am talking about.

But at the end of the day, you literally just need to use the fact that tension in the string is the same throughout, and on particle Q there are ONLY two forces; tension and weight. Don't even try to justify a term for friction, unless the air is made out rubber or something!
ah i see, so the tension on Q already implies any friction or whatever is happening from the other end of the string
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.51%
I need help researching courses (6)
8.11%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.41%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
40.54%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (19)
25.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.7%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.05%

Watched Threads