The helicopter, mankind's worst creations Watch

JokesOnYoo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The helicopter is one of the worst flying machines because as soon as the tail is severed, most control of the navigation of the helicopter is lost.
You also cant jump out even if you had a parachute since the blades would cut you in half.
Not only that but it is highly vulnerable to strong winds due to its low flying velocity, even worse if the blades are lightweight

Worst machine ever created, Russian roulette machine
Last edited by JokesOnYoo; 4 weeks ago
Mike172
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As soon as the tool is severed? Errr, what?
abcthe123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JokesOnYoo)
The helicopter is one of the worst flying machines because as soon as the tail is severed, most control of the navigation of the helicopter is lost.
You also cant jump out even if you had a parachute since the blades would cut you in half.
Not only that but it is highly vulnerable to strong winds due to its low flying velocity, even worse if the blades are lightweight

Except they're excellent for navigating tight spaces with limited landing availability. They can land and take off from essentially anywhere which makes them extremely useful for so many applications.

The reality is they benefit so much. Especially people in need of urgent medical attention, i.e Air Ambulance or people rescue. They have their risks, but so does literally any vehicle.
JokesOnYoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by abcthe123)
Except they're excellent for navigating tight spaces with limited landing availability. They can land and take off from essentially anywhere which makes them extremely useful for so many applications.

The reality is they benefit so much. Especially people in need of urgent medical attention, i.e Air Ambulance or people rescue. They have their risks, but so does literally any vehicle.
That's true, but i would never use it for travel unless emergency
abcthe123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's true, but i would never use it for travel unless emergency
Then it's clearly not the worst machine ever created. They clearly save many many more lives than they take.
JokesOnYoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by abcthe123)
Then it's clearly not the worst machine ever created. They clearly save many many more lives than they take.
For the views bro
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Whereas fixed wing planes work an absolute treat when the tail is severed?

Pretty sure all the main parts of all categories of aircraft are there for an important reason tbh... Not just to look pretty.
JokesOnYoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
Whereas fixed wing planes work an absolute treat when the tail is severed?

Pretty sure all the main parts of all categories of aircraft are there for an important reason tbh... Not just to look pretty.
No but at least you'd probably survive jumping out with a parachute. Have you seen the vertical acceleration towards the ground when a helicopter loses control, the only option is to brace for impact
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would say I'll never fly in a helicopter now, but tbh I'm wondering if this is just gonna happen regardless because we're all getting lazier.

Make more mistakes, miss more things, make less logical decisions, and less disciplined in our crafts as we tumble down a downward spiral of ineptitude and entitlement.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I disagree. Some of the things Klunk came up with in Dasterdly and muttley in their flying machines are worse.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Tell that to all the soldiers that relied on apaches and chinooks to med evac them out of battle during recent campaigns or give covering fire.
The real danger is barely qualified private owners buzzing about with passengers in light aircrafts
JokesOnYoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Tell that to all the soldiers that relied on apaches and chinooks to med evac them out of battle during recent campaigns or give covering fire.
The real danger is barely qualified private owners buzzing about with passengers in light aircrafts
The helicopter implementation of a flying machine is not brilliant for safety
It does however provided the capabilities of a flying machine.
Its mainly due to the propellor design, a rocket propulsion system would provided the same utility with greater safety but less cost effective
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Same could be said about a lot of modes of transport. Look at hot air balloons, charter planes....
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The helicopter implementation of a flying machine is not brilliant for safety
It does however provided the capabilities of a flying machine.
Its mainly due to the propellor design, a rocket propulsion system would provided the same utility with greater safety but less cost effective
Cars arent exactly brilliant for safety either, in terms of deaths im sure road traffic incidents vastly outnumber helicopter deaths.
JokesOnYoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Cars arent exactly brilliant for safety either, in terms of deaths im sure road traffic incidents vastly outnumber helicopter deaths.
Statistically, there are more cars than there are helicopters. So there is in-fact higher probability of car deaths than helicopter deaths. There are more car trips than helicopter trips. My point is the design is not optimised for safety since there is not prevention mechanism, you have airbags for car collisions, a car with a flat tire will still work. Any moving vehicle is capable of crashing and causing death due to human error so its not reasonable to compare human error causations. What im talking about is the design of the vehicle, what safety mechanisms can be used
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago

Worst machine ever created?
Think of all the thousands of lives saved from disaster relieve and search and rescue. Think of all the work that couldnt be done without the helicopters unique ability to take off and land in tight spaces.
Do you travel by helicopter regularly?

Name:  transport deaths.PNG
Views: 6
Size:  78.3 KB

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...opters-2160937
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Statistically, there are more cars than there are helicopters. So there is in-fact higher probability of car deaths than helicopter deaths. There are more car trips than helicopter trips. My point is the design is not optimised for safety since there is not prevention mechanism, you have airbags for car collisions, a car with a flat tire will still work. Any moving vehicle is capable of crashing and causing death due to human error so its not reasonable to compare human error causations. What im talking about is the design of the vehicle, what safety mechanisms can be used
Which is why you standardise it down to deaths per hours or miles of travel.
Helicopters can often glide down in case of mechanical difficulty.
They offer unique advantages which is why they are used.
Easily solved though, dont travel by helicopter to school.
JokesOnYoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Think of all the thousands of lives saved from disaster relieve and search and rescue. Think of all the work that couldnt be done without the helicopters unique ability to take off and land in tight spaces.

Like i said, there are no prevention mechanisms for when malfunction occur other than don't fly in bad conditions
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Deaths per unit distance travelled isn't the best indicator of safety of mode of travel. Imagine there was such a thing as faster than light travel to other solar systems, even if there was a 50% chance of you dying each trip you make there would still be fewer deaths per unit distance travelled than for any of the modes of transport on that graph you posted. In that scenario, nobody I think would consider FTL travel to be safe. Deaths per unit distanced travelled is only an accurate measure of the comparative safety of different methods of transport when the data used concerns travel to the same destination and from the same start point for each mode of transport.

Another problem with that graph when you are considering the safety of travel by helicopter is that said method of travel doesn't have it's own bar on the graph, it is simply included as part of flying, and the vast, vast majority of passenger miles travelled by flight are by plane, because more planes take off and land than helicopters, planes carry more passengers than helicopters, and planes travel greater distances than helicopters.

there are no prevention mechanisms for when malfunction occur
999tigger just told you

Helicopters can often glide down in case of mechanical difficulty.
But in any case, provided the rate of malfunction is low enough then the probability of malfunction would not render Helicopters a particularly dangerous method of travel. Think of it this way, would you rather travel by a mode of transport where there was a good chance of something going wrong but where in the case of something wrong it would be possible for you to make some kind of daring escape, or would you instead prefer to travel by means where there is a minute chance of something going wrong but where in the situation something does go wrong, you are ****ed?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Learnt something new today
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (491)
59.59%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.22%
No- I want it (234)
28.4%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise