Reject the propaganda 50p Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PotatoFruit)
It would be a good idea to create a fancy bin where people throw their 50ps inside while I pretend as if I’m organising a protest
Hee hee, this sounds like a great idea, maybe you can give a small percentage to good causes though, just so you don't get to feel too guilty?
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
The government's new Brexit propaganda 50p is entering circulation on Friday. It bears the inscription "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations". As a Twitter user points out on #Brexit50p, "this is from a government whose own analysis says Brexit undermines UK security and economic prosperity and who compared the nations of Europe to the nazis during negotiations."
https://twitter.com/hashtag/Brexit50p?src=hashtag_click

Attachment 876472

Apart from this sounding more like a UN coin, it is clearly intended as government propaganda. They were going to release one some time ago, but it was cancelled at the last minute at a cost to the taxpayer of more than £3m. Presumably this new piece of replacement Leave propaganda is similarly priced.

Lots of people are going to insist on not having them in change. Join us in rejecting the new right wing Tory propaganda 50p.

David Schneider paraphrases Orwell:

"Ignorance is strength"
"Freedom is slavery"
"Peace is leaving the biggest peace project in history"
"Prosperity is slashing growth, ****ing business & torching jobs"
"Friendship to all nations is cutting yourself off from & abusing 27 of them"
Kitten in boots
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
50p? Couldn't even buy a McDonald's coffee with one.

The establishment is literally offering those who voted for Brexit the scraps off the table.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Pullman is weighing in. He advises rejecting the coin as it does not make use of the Oxford comma.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51269012
(also known to linguists as the Serial Comma - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma)

The coin will say:

"Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations"

Pullman argues for:

"Peace, prosperity, and friendship with all nations"

Personally I think the lack of a full stop at the end is bad.
Justvisited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Pullman is weighing in. He advises rejecting the coin as it does not make use of the Oxford comma.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51269012
(also known to linguists as the Serial Comma - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma)

The coin will say:

"Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations"

Pullman argues for:

"Peace, prosperity, and friendship with all nations"

Personally I think the lack of a full stop at the end is bad.
Inscriptions generally don't have full stops; and I'd have thought the OC was more useful to separate long phrases not single words.

Spare a thought for all those republicans over the years who've had no choice. Or those vegans of late with the polymer notes.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Justvisited)
Inscriptions generally don't have full stops; and I'd have thought the OC was more useful to separate long phrases not single words.

Spare a thought for all those republicans over the years who've had no choice. Or those vegans of late with the polymer notes.
Yes, the OC idea is wrong here, but I assume that PP was joking, as I was about the ".".

Edible banknotes might be a good idea.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
:lol:
WoodlandSorcerer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'll keep one and in 30 years it'll be a rarity that's worth a fortune. That's the only good that'll come from Brexit.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not a fan of the coin. I won't reject legal tender if people are giving me money, but I'd be wary of using them myself in case the recipient kicked off. Probably best used in self-service checkouts. :moon:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoodlandSorcerer)
I'll keep one and in 30 years it'll be a rarity that's worth a fortune. That's the only good that'll come from Brexit.
It will be worth exactly 1,984 pence. You will be able to exchange it at any animal farm.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
I'm not a fan of the coin. I won't reject legal tender if people are giving me money, but I'd be wary of using them myself in case the recipient kicked off. Probably best used in self-service checkouts. :moon:
They can litterally [email protected]@# off!! with their childish spoiled brat bigotry. Ask yourself the question, if I chucked a paddy for getting 25 years in the EU 50p coin my my change, who would the wider public think is the idoit, the shop assistant or me?

They need to grow up and start showing the advanced intelligence and compassion they falsely claim to have, well let's be honest, it can only be a claim because they certainly seem to do a good job of acting like spolit children.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Small business owners and the working poor are generally supportive of Brexit. It’s big business and the professionals ordering their avocado based Americanos that are opposed.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's just a ****ing coin. Get over yourselves.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Small business owners and the working poor are generally supportive of Brexit. It’s big business and the professionals ordering their avocado based Americanos that are opposed.
Ah, good to see the avocado popping up again, those ghastly metropolitans and their nasty love of foreign foods, eh?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
It's just a ****ing coin. Get over yourselves.
I think the question is, when is a con just a con and when is it just another cynical pack of lies perpetrated by people who know perfectly well that they are lies?

Sorry, did I say 'con'. I meant coin.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
using contactless to pay instead of coins is the ultimate form of anti-brexit praxis
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ah, good to see the avocado popping up again, those ghastly metropolitans and their nasty love of foreign foods, eh?
Too right.

We shall ignore the fact that I am also partial to avacado and lattes.
But I do it reading a copy of the Torygraph. That offsets any foreignness.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Too right.

We shall ignore the fact that I am also partial to avacado and lattes.
But I do it reading a copy of the Torygraph. That offsets any foreignness.
Not so. The avocado has tainted your very soul and you are now irretrievably metro.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by J Papi)
using contactless to pay instead of coins is the ultimate form of anti-brexit praxis
I'm genuinely surprised there isn't a new Tory Amex card on offer, which plays the national anthem every time you hit the contactless pad.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Does seem a lacking in artistic merit compared to the previous 50p coins
Name:  fiftypee.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  51.7 KB

I'd say it was the numismatic equivalent of the soon to be regretted 'Carpe Diem' wrist tattoo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (377)
67.2%
No (184)
32.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise