The Student Room Group

Reject the propaganda 50p

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think the question is, when is a con just a con and when is it just another cynical pack of lies perpetrated by people who know perfectly well that they are lies?

Sorry, did I say 'con'. I meant coin.

How is the coin a lie?
Reply 41
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
The only people using cash in 2020 are people avoiding tax and people buying drugs.

And all the old people who voted for Brexit. My grandad gave me one and told be to get myself something nice.

No, that didn't come out right.
Reply 42
My hope is that someone will set up a sensible recycling facility. The resulting cash can then be used to help lone child refugees, rejected by Tory MPs who feel they can partake in deeply racist votes with impunity given the race hate atmosphere that Brexit has stimulated and been provoked by.

I've heard people talking about this; donating them to a suitable appropriate charity. Something to do with transgender or Greta Thunberg will be guaranteed to boil some gammon.
Reply 43
Original post by Captain Haddock

Oh **** me! Reliving the nightmare of parents getting stoned and playing this too loud while I tried to sleep. *shivers*
Reply 44
Pullman is weighing in. He advises rejecting the coin as it does not make use of the Oxford comma.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51269012
(also known to linguists as the Serial Comma - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma)

The coin will say:

"Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations"

Pullman argues for:

"Peace, prosperity, and friendship with all nations"

Personally I think the lack of a full stop at the end is bad.

Given the level of intelligence of most Leavers, we're lucky it wasn't "Piece, prosperity and freindship with all nation's"
Reply 45
Yes, the OC idea is wrong here, but I assume that PP was joking, as I was about the ".".

Edible banknotes might be a good idea.

I agree with the OC, although either is acceptable in this case.
Reply 46
Original post by Burton Bridge
They can litterally f@@# off!! with their childish spoiled brat bigotry.

Ooh, someone's triggered by a bit of light-hearted banter.
The only one who has sounded like a bigoted, spoilt brat so far is you.
(BTW, "childish brat" is a tautology. Also, you need to look up the definition of "bigotry". Just like the old days, eh?)

Ask yourself the question, if I chucked a paddy for getting 25 years in the EU 50p coin my my change, who would the wider public think is the idoit, the shop assistant or me?
I think you an idoit [sic], whatever you do or say.

They need to grow up and start showing the advanced intelligence and compassion they falsely claim to have, well let's be honest, it can only be a claim because they certainly seem to do a good job of acting like spolit children.

With all due respect, Leavers need to develop a sense of humour - although I assumed they already had one, what with voting for Brexit and Boris! Appears not.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by QE2
Ooh, someone's triggered by a bit of light-hearted banter.
The only one who has sounded like a bigoted, spoilt brat so far is you.
(BTW, "childish brat" is a tautology. Also, you need to look up the definition of "bigotry". Just like the old days, eh?)

I think you an idoit [sic], whatever you do or say.

With all due respect, Leavers need to develop a sense of humour - although I assumed they already had one, what with voting for Brexit and Boris! Appears not.

Brilliance as usual, anything worth while reading to add, or have you still not grasped the abilty to write anything that makes any meaningful substance? You got insult and ridicule off to a tee, ill g9ve you that shame about the rest.

I notice lack of participation from you in the non brexit politcal threads. It's quite a shame maybe you would finallly have to apologise for all the nonsense you have written about me being right wing, providing you can comprehend what is being written, that is. I'm sure you at least think you can:flute:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Rakas21
Small business owners and the working poor are generally supportive of Brexit. It’s big business and the professionals ordering their avocado based Americanos that are opposed.

And the delicious irony is that small business owners and the working poor are the ones who will worst hit by Brexit.

Maybe the next commemorative 50p could be inscribed with "I told you so"
Original post by QE2
Oh **** me! Reliving the nightmare of parents getting stoned and playing this too loud while I tried to sleep. *shivers*

Your parents have fine taste.
Reply 50
Original post by Burton Bridge
Brilliance as usual, anything worth while reading to add, or have you still not grasped the abilty to write anything that makes any meaningful substance? You got insult and ridicule off to a tee, ill g9ve you that shame about the rest.

I notice lack of participation from you in the non brexit politcal threads. It's quite a shame maybe you would finallly have to apologise for all the nonsense you have written about me being right wing, providing you can comprehend what is being written, that is. I'm sure you at least think you can:flute:

Just in case anyone was going to question my comment about the intelligence of Leavers, you come along and save them the bother.
Top work.
Reply 51

Screenshot 2020-01-28 at 13.55.45.jpg
Original post by QE2
Just in case anyone was going to question my comment about the intelligence of Leavers, you come along and save them the bother.
Top work.

Of course mate :bebored:
Reply 53
Germany, France and Italy will all make deals very fast with the UK.

As for the 50p ... I quite like it.
Reply 54
Original post by Aurano
Germany, France and Italy will all make deals very fast with the UK.

As for the 50p ... I quite like it.

I'd like to invoke Poe's Law here, but I have a suspicion you may be serious.
Reply 55
Original post by QE2
I'd like to invoke Poe's Law here, but I have a suspicion you may be serious.

Do your research into business and trade and you'll start to understand that the EU isn't going to cease trade with one of its closest, wealthiest and largest consumers because we left the Union. A lot of remainers tend to get overly emotional and bitter about leaving the EU, but the leaders of those countries aren't sulking teenagers, they're seasoned politicians who understand that trading with the UK is necessary and healthy for both parties.

Despite not voting in the referendum, I initially supported remaining in the EU, but after thinking about the long term possibilities of leaving the EU I started to I feel quite positive about UK's future.
Reply 56
Original post by Aurano
Do your research into business and trade and you'll start to understand that the EU isn't going to cease trade with one of its closest, wealthiest and largest consumers because we left the Union. A lot of remainers tend to get overly emotional and bitter about leaving the EU, but the leaders of those countries aren't sulking teenagers, they're seasoned politicians who understand that trading with the UK is necessary and healthy for both parties.

You said that "Germany, France and Italy will all make deals very fast with the UK."
That fundamentally misunderstands the essential nature of the EU. Germany, France and Italy cannot make any deals with the UK.

Of course the EU isn't going to cease trading with the UK, but they will force the UK to accept terms that may not be what your average Leave voter had in mind. Already it is accepted that the UK will allow EU fleets access to UK waters in order to be allowed access to EU markets for UK financial services. So much for all those fishermen who voted Leave to "Take Back Our Waters!"

Despite not voting in the referendum, I initially supported remaining in the EU, but after thinking about the long term possibilities of leaving the EU I started to I feel quite positive about UK's future.

So what do you see as the benefits of no longer being a member of the EU? And how do these offset the disadvantages?
Original post by QE2
Of course the EU isn't going to cease trading with the UK, but they will force the UK to accept terms that may not be what your average Leave voter had in mind. Already it is accepted that the UK will allow EU fleets access to UK waters in order to be allowed access to EU markets for UK financial services. So much for all those fishermen who voted Leave to "Take Back Our Waters!"

One of the more sinister aspects of Brexit is the undue political influence given to the fishing industry and their lobby. This happened partly because they have one or two highly placed Tory MPs (including Michael Gove) as either fishing constituency MPs, or brought up in them - and also because they were adept at playing the Farage card, regularly getting Nige onto their PR stunts.

This is sad, because the truth is that before we were in the EU, the British fishing fleet were radically overfishing, to the point that they had devastated the North Sea, the English Channel and the Irish Sea and were hell bent on wiping out the Norwegian and Icelandic fishing grounds. The press at the time took the side of 'our fisherman' who were fought off Iceland and Norway, sometimes at the point of a gun - and, it turns out, rightly so, as those two seas have subsequently been much better managed and are now amongst the most sustainable in the world. Only when we joined the Common Market was there a genuine attempt to make the N. Sea and the Channel sustainable - these efforts have made progress, but each time our fleet is allowed back, the devastation returns, as it has recently in the North Sea, where cod stocks are again at crisis point.

The net result of handing back to a wild west British fishing industry will be rapid extermination of all fish in our surrounding coastal waters, cheered on by a know-nothing Tory press and painfully short-termist Tory MPs.
Prosperity...

Give it a few months, should be reprinted as poverty.
Original post by Aurano

Do you genuinely think that there are any short-medium term economic benefits of leaving the EU?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending