Reject the propaganda 50p Watch

Ragman75
Badges: 15
Report 3 weeks ago
lol what a retarded thing to say, what about Iran what about north korea what about china ffs.
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I understand that Brexit is - no matter what you think of it - a turning point in our history (therefore warranted a coin) and a statement on the back about collaborating with others etc is a good thing to do. This'd all be perfectly fine in my book, if it weren't for the fact that the government lied to us about it and therefore are trying to wash all the criticism away by saying "hey, we have a coin now".

Therefore, I think there were good intentions behind it's minting, but the actual handling of Brexit by the government has been extremely poor.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Aurano)
No. It's a deal with the countries that desire trade within the EU which has to be signed off by EU parlaiment, but the trades themselves are negotiated between individual states. The EU has to accept that otherwise it'll risk many countries abandoning the Union. Factors such as logistics and supply chain, exchange rates, trade policy, supply and demand and consumer strength will dictate the trade agreements, not the EU parliament.
Doones is correct this time mate.

The EU is a club and the club has rules, one if those rules is the superiority of EU law. Individual member states are forbidden to negotiate their own trade deals.This is yet another reason why dishonest (or more likely) uneducated/uniformed remainers cherping stupid lines like "where are these trade deals?, it's all lies" :blah: is absolutely laughable, we have litterally been forbidden by law from negotiate new trade deals, furthermore we still are.

Some of the people you are in conversation with here have made these uninformed slurs. It really is a waste of time revisiting these old tired arguments. They have been shot to pieces over time and they still believe them, brexit is happening what type of Brexit well let's see. They could make a hash of it, the good thing is there is little wiggle room for the government with their 80 seat majority, the ability to shift the blame is highly limited. That's got to be a good thing, for democracy.
Aurano
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Doones is correct this time mate.

The EU is a club and the club has rules, one if those rules is the superiority of EU law. Individual member states are forbidden to negotiate their own trade deals.
Then who negotiates a trade deal on behalf of a sovereign state in the EU? It's impossible to do unless representatives from that state put forth economic information and suggestions to the EU parliament, and this is decided through negotiations between sovereign states inside and outside of the EU not by the EU.

I'm not wrong, you're just not interpreting what I'm writing very well.
Last edited by Aurano; 3 weeks ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Then who negotiates a trade deal on behalf of a sovereign state in the EU? It's impossible to do unless representatives from that state put forth economic information and suggestions to the EU parliament, and this is decided through negotiations between sovereign states inside and outside of the EU not by the EU.

I'm not wrong, you're just not interpreting what I'm writing very well.
The EU's Chief Negotiator puts together a negotiating team. Its long winded and involves "experts" from across the Commission on whatever topic is being negotiated. The EU is therefore represented by the EU Commission in all international trade negotiations.Member states cannot negotiate their own trade deals with third countries.

Maybe I am missing something here?
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 3 weeks ago
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is why the UK benefits by being in the EU.
When we are in it we are one of the largest economies with a commensurate amount of influence.
When we leave it we lose that influence entirely.

Name:  Uk vs US and China.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  119.4 KB

Name:  EPSij6tWAAE3et2.jpg
Size:  148.9 KB
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Doones)
When we are in it we are one of the largest economies with a commensurate amount of influence.

Never mind. We will have our wonderful unique national selling points, such as food banks, racist newspapers and industries eager to leave.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Time will tell, it isnt as bleak as you may think. Anyway it's happening anyway and the us little to nothing you or I, can do about it! The argument to remain is lost.
Aurano
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The EU's Chief Negotiator puts together a negotiating team. Its long winded and involves "experts" from across the Commission on whatever topic is being negotiated.

Maybe I am missing something here?
I dunno. Maybe the facts that it's impossible for a commission to regulate the varying economies of 27 states? Not to mention it being completely inefficient and I'm pretty sure violates international law in some way.

This is how it works: the commission determine trade deals based on how they affect the various states within the EU. The actual suggestions themselves are derived from negotiations between two independent states. A sovereign state has the right, by law, to do this, despite being in the EU. That's why Farage's "take back sovereignty" card was bull**** to anyone with half a brain, but it's obviously fooled a lot of people. Only the governing body of a sovereign state knows the economic situation of their country and this is passed on to the commission with "proposals" which are then voted on. States don't make deals with the EU, they just have to navigate EU bureaucracy to get trade deals enacted.

But the negotiations which lead to these proposals are done between individual states. That's the whole point of state visits.
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Yawn, how well are things going to go in the EU without us and with Germany on the brink of recession?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Never mind. We will have our wonderful unique national selling points, such as food banks, racist newspapers and industries eager to leave.

The world must be a really dark and sad place through your eyes Suprises,
The berk-cow not getting a peerage - anti semitic - racist
Borris johnson - sex pest, sexist - racist
Brexit - xenophobic - racist

You know it is possible to make an argument against something you disagree with without falsely shouting "racism". Maybe give it a shot sometime, it might convince more people to come to your way of thinking, than blindly calling everyone racists has! Food for thought like :rolleyes:
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 3 weeks ago
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Time will tell, it isnt as bleak as you may think. Anyway it's happening anyway and the us little to nothing you or I, can do about it! The argument to remain is lost.
Yep, for now

One last chart... all this upheaval (loss of the four freedoms, etc) to "save" about 1% of our total gov spending.

Name:  5873ab2add08955a208b475d.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  70.3 KB
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yep, for now

One last chart... all this upheaval (loss of the four freedoms, etc) to "save" about 1% of our total gov spending.

Name:  5873ab2add08955a208b475d.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  70.3 KB
For now lol

Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For now lol

Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves
Is a 50p a penny or a pound?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Yawn, how well are things going to go in the EU without us and with Germany on the brink of recession?
And several members with increasingly itchy feet ....
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is a 50p a penny or a pound?
I think even the pro EU 25 year celebration 50p's will take care of themselves, long as you look after those pennies
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Germany's GDP PPP is about 10% higher than the UK, so even a severe recession there (which this isn't) would still leave them better off than the UK.
Aurano
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
@Doones You do realise that though the EU might be classed as a giant consumer market that the majority of the countries have a very weak consumer base? It's your lack of understanding again. No one has the money to buy anything in many EU states because the economies are stagnating. Look at Spain, Greece and Italy. The Scandinavian states are taxed to the hilt so they're barely what you'd consider affluent either.

If you know what the word superficial means then you'll understand your delusion of the EU.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
The only people using cash in 2020 are people avoiding tax and people buying drugs.
Not true - you need coin for lots of things...
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I dunno. Maybe the facts that it's impossible for a commission to regulate the varying economies of 27 states? Not to mention it being completely inefficient and I'm pretty sure violates international law in some way.

This is how it works: the commission determine trade deals based on how they affect the various states within the EU. The actual suggestions themselves are derived from negotiations between two independent states. A sovereign state has the right, by law, to do this, despite being in the EU. That's why Farage's "take back sovereignty" card was bull**** to anyone with half a brain, but it's obviously fooled a lot of people. Only the governing body of a sovereign state knows the economic situation of their country and this is passed on to the commission with "proposals" which are then voted on. States don't make deals with the EU, they just have to navigate EU bureaucracy to get trade deals enacted.

But the negotiations which lead to these proposals are done between individual states. That's the whole point of state visits.
Can you point me to this law? Genuinely because I think you are mistaken
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (378)
67.14%
No (185)
32.86%

Watched Threads