Hyalosis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I finished my A levels in 2017, and got A*A*AA. I initially had an offer from Cambridge, but didn't quite meet the STEP requirements - I almost finished one year of a Maths degree at another university, but due to mental health problems dropped out. Since then, I have been working in an unrelated job.

I am considering reapplying to university next year for entry in September 2021 (at which point I would be 22). I am concerned however how my time out of education would appear - would my previous grades still be relevant, and how do I demonstrate I am still up to scratch/still have the requisite interest?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For which course and which universities? I doubt it would be a huge problem but its best to ask each university first before applying. You might be well advised to sit an AS level or an OU course while applying.
Hyalosis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
For which course and which universities? I doubt it would be a huge problem but its best to ask each university first before applying. You might be well advised to sit an AS level or an OU course while applying.
Maths and Econ. Considering Bath, Bristol, Warwick, Loughborough.
billyar1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have a feeling your previous exam results are still relevant and you should be able to apply as normal since 2017 to now isn't a significant gap. I guess you should use your new and updated personal statement to reflect your enthusiasm for the course/subject. Try to contact the undergraduate admissions teams at your chosen unis to get some guidance and advice from the experts. You could also try to contact a tutor from your old college to see if they're willing to help with your personal statement. Don't be too anxious and give it a go All the best!

(Original post by Hyalosis)
I finished my A levels in 2017, and got A*A*AA. I initially had an offer from Cambridge, but didn't quite meet the STEP requirements - I almost finished one year of a Maths degree at another university, but due to mental health problems dropped out. Since then, I have been working in an unrelated job.

I am considering reapplying to university next year for entry in September 2021 (at which point I would be 22). I am concerned however how my time out of education would appear - would my previous grades still be relevant, and how do I demonstrate I am still up to scratch/still have the requisite interest?
Igotbbcalevel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
go for it
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Hyalosis)
I don't think it would be a problem, 22 is still young and lots of people drop out of uni for one reason or another and successfully transition into a new uni a year or a few years later.

I think you should apply asap. The UCAS closing date has already passed but lots of unis will still have vacancies and would be delighted to get an application from someone with your grades. I would just check with their Admissions first that they still have vacancies for the course you want to do
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As already said check whether universities still have places. Just give them a call. I suspect Warwick may be fill for that combination.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (283)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my education (290)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (184)
9.94%
Isolating with family (131)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (85)
4.59%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (154)
8.32%
Loneliness (184)
9.94%
Financial worries (76)
4.11%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (170)
9.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (162)
8.75%

Watched Threads