Meep64
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
hi there, i'm currently in 6th year and i'm doing nat 5 maths. I've been diagnosed with dyscalculia and first started Nat 5 in 5th year and did the units only and this year i'm doing the exam but i don't feel confident i'll pass. I'm planning on going to college and have just put in an application, if i did fail the exam, would this affect my chances of getting into college?
ibby68
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Maths is maths wether it’s gcse or nat 5 exams (just googled what they are) it’s all practice and familiarisation.i know it will be difficult if you have problems out of your control but try to push through it. Good luck
Last edited by ibby68; 3 weeks ago
Meep64
Rep:
?
(Original post by ibby68)
Maths is maths wether it’s gcse or nat 5 exams (just googled what they are) it’s all practice and familiarisation.i know it will be difficult if you have problems out of your control but try to push through it. Good luck
lol thanks
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Meep64)
hi there, i'm currently in 6th year and i'm doing nat 5 maths. I've been diagnosed with dyscalculia and first started Nat 5 in 5th year and did the units only and this year i'm doing the exam but i don't feel confident i'll pass. I'm planning on going to college and have just put in an application, if i did fail the exam, would this affect my chances of getting into college?
If it's part of the entry requirements for the course you want to do at college, it could affect your chances, yes (not that you don't already have it, but they could say your place is conditional on achieving it at a certain grade).
All you can do is your best in the exam, and there will always be other routes/options if things don't go to plan. Make sure you're getting support from your school and check if you're eligible for any adjustments for exams (e.g. extra time). I think with maths, teachers often only teach one method whereas there are usually several valid ones- if there's topics you particularly struggle with, it might be worth either asking or looking up different ways of doing the calculation, and any strategies that might help you. There's also some great people over in TSR's Maths Forum who are always happy to help.
Hope this helps
Meep64
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
If it's part of the entry requirements for the course you want to do at college, it could affect your chances, yes (not that you don't already have it, but they could say your place is conditional on achieving it at a certain grade).
All you can do is your best in the exam, and there will always be other routes/options if things don't go to plan. Make sure you're getting support from your school and check if you're eligible for any adjustments for exams (e.g. extra time). I think with maths, teachers often only teach one method whereas there are usually several valid ones- if there's topics you particularly struggle with, it might be worth either asking or looking up different ways of doing the calculation, and any strategies that might help you. There's also some great people over in TSR's Maths Forum who are always happy to help.
Hope this helps
thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (378)
67.14%
No (185)
32.86%

Watched Threads