The Student Room Group

Exam structure

I have been told that students studying Maths at college study for two years, skip the AS exams and complete the course by just doing the A-Level exams in the second year.

I also see that the AS levels are available to take should students choose to do them. Does anyone know if there are any disadvantages/advantages to doing the tests in both years? I.e. AS exams in year 1 and A-Level exams in year 2. Can the AS level results have an impact on the second year now that it seems to be a standalone set of exams?
Reply 1
Just do the 2 years course. Treat your mocks during June time as AS. Visit your teacher for help. You have 2 years to do so.
Reply 2
Original post by billyar1
I have been told that students studying Maths at college study for two years, skip the AS exams and complete the course by just doing the A-Level exams in the second year.

I also see that the AS levels are available to take should students choose to do them. Does anyone know if there are any disadvantages/advantages to doing the tests in both years? I.e. AS exams in year 1 and A-Level exams in year 2. Can the AS level results have an impact on the second year now that it seems to be a standalone set of exams?

There are no disadvantages I can see to students doing AS exams, and they can be a great independent progress check. But they don't count towards the final grade of a two year A Level, which is entirely based on the exams at the end of the second year, so there is no advantage to them other than this progress check.

From the school's point of view, they will have to pay for every exam entry, and seeing that this is an uneccessary cost, there are very schools remaining who routinely enter students for AS exams any more.

Quick Reply

Latest