The Student Room Group

Criminal Law

Hy, guys! I just got in difficult situation. I just finished the fundation year at Anglia Ruskin University in December. I started the first year in the same Uni the Business and Law course.
When I started, they said if I have good marks between 60-70% I can switch to Law, which I was interested from the first time. The university already start and I get stock in Business and Law course, because we just get the results!
Now I find out they just have the pure Law, but I sign for Criminal Law! What I can do now!??
The time is ticking and I see somebody wrote here the Metropolitan it's not a good University! But they have Criminal Law started from September. So, now I get confused!! Any ideas!? Should I stay at Anglia Ruskin and switch module or go for Criminal Law course somewhere else!?? 🙂
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Angyalka
Hy, guys! I just got in difficult situation. I just finished the fundation year at Anglia Ruskin University in December. I started the first year in the same Uni the Business and Law course.
When I started, they said if I have good marks between 60-70% I can switch to Law, which I was interested from the first time. The university already start and I get stock in Business and Law course, because we just get the results!
Now I find out they just have the pure Law, but I sign for Criminal Law! What I can do now!??
The time is ticking and I see somebody wrote here the Metropolitan it's not a good University! But they have Criminal Law started from September. So, now I get confused!! Any ideas!? Should I stay at Anglia Ruskin and switch module or go for Criminal Law course somewhere else!?? 🙂

I'm confused by quite a few things in your post starting with how did you finish a foundation year in December when they normally run from September to June?

Basically if you want to study Law you should get yourself onto an LLB degree course and you will study some criminal Law regardless of whether the course is called LLB (Law) like at Anglia Ruskin or LLB(Criminal Law) like at London Metropolitan.

If you are stuck on the Business and Law course and don't like it, why don't you ask Anglia Ruskin if you can switch onto Year 1 of the LLB course in September as that course is only 3 years and it sounds like you originally signed up for a 4 year degree including the foundation year?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
I'm confused by quite a few things in your post starting with how did you finish a foundation year in December when they normally run from September to June?

Basically if you want to study Law you should get yourself onto an LLB degree course and you will study some criminal Law regardless of whether the course is called LLB (Law) like at Anglia Ruskin or LLB(Criminal Law) like at London Metropolitan.

If you are stuck on the Business and Law course and don't like it, why don't you ask Anglia Ruskin if you can switch onto Year 1 of the LLB course in September as that course is only 3 years and it sounds like you originally signed up for a 4 year degree including the foundation year?

Hy! 🙂

I started Uni last year January not September!! And I wanted to study Criminal Law. Agency people from my country suggested the Anglia Ruskin which it's quite good! But while I was waiting for the results I find out that, for one of my colleges they said we cannot change module, because they don't have at Anglia Ruskin.
So, I get obset. I started to ask around, speak with assistant director they said they have just a pure Law and that it's ok, because that is the basic if I don't want Criminology. I think she didn't wanted to lose me as a student. Because she don't understand my question when I said do I need to change Uni or they have got Criminal Law. She said no, just I need to change module. But when I did the application it's just Law. Not Criminal Law what I want! 😥😭
And I read some comments earlier that Metropolitan got Criminal Law module that University it's not strong enough and people didn't get good job with that, so I started to worry! ..
(edited 4 years ago)
Hy! 🙂

I started Uni last year January not September!! And I wanted to study Criminal Law. Agency people from my country suggested the Anglia Ruskin which it's quite good! But while I was waiting for the results I find out that, for one of my colleges they said we cannot change module, because they don't have at Anglia Ruskin.
So, I get obset. I started to ask around, speak with assistant director they said they have just a pure Law and that it's ok, because that is the basic if I don't want Criminology. I think she didn't wanted to lose me as a student. Because she don't understand my question when I said do I need to change Uni or they have got Criminal Law. She said no, just I need to change module. But when I did the application it's just Law. Not Criminal Law what I want! 😥😭
And I read some comments earlier that Metropolitan got Criminal Law module that University it's not strong enough and people didn't get good job with that, so I started to worry! ..

some of the world richest people went to a low ranking law school. It doesn't matter from where you will graduate. Let me find some examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Jamail
He graduated from The University of Texas which in rankings is the 48th best university. Even though he was not a graduate from Harvard for example... he still managed to get billions of dollars with his work. So if you want to follow criminal law then go to Metropolitan and do the course that you want.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by emily_000
some of the world richest people went to a low ranking law school. It doesn't matter from where will graduate. Let me find some examples.

The only thing is the Anglia Ruskin Law module it's already started! That is why it's a big rush and the Metropolitan Criminal Law starts in September. I can jump now straight to Law module at Ruskin or I need to wait till September for Metropolitan. I am worried, about I don't really want just Law, because I know it's hard and maybe it's not for me or I am going to fail let's say 2 year! Which I don't want! The thing is even if it's not good Uni, I can wait! Just I want to do what I really want from beginning! 🙂👍
The only thing is the Anglia Ruskin Law module it's already started! That is why it's a big rush and the Metropolitan Criminal Law starts in September. I can jump now straight to Law module at Ruskin or I need to wait till September for Metropolitan. I am worried, about I don't really want just Law, because I know it's hard and maybe it's not for me or I am going to fail let's say 2 year! Which I don't want! The thing is even if it's not good Uni, I can wait! Just I want to do what I really want from beginning! 🙂👍

As I said
some of the world richest people went to a low ranking law school. It doesn't matter from where you will graduate. Let me find some examples.

He graduated from The University of Texas which in rankings is the 48th best university. Even though he was not a graduate from Harvard for example.. he still managed to get billions of dollars with his work. So if you want to follow criminal law then go to Metropolitan and do the course that you want.

It doesn't matter if you will lose a year or two as long as you can afford it. If money is not an issue for you then go to metropolitan. But my question is.. can you go to metropolitan? did you check with the university if they can accept your foundation course? As some universities don't accept certain foundation courses. and can you afford it? You will waste only 1 year. You do have 2 more years of finance (with Student Finance England) so you will have to pay by yourself the first year.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
As I said

He graduated from The University of Texas which in rankings is the 48th best university. Even though he was not a graduate from Harvard for example.. he still managed to get billions of dollars with his work. So if you want to follow criminal law then go to Metropolitan and do the course that you want.

It doesn't matter if you will lose a year or two as long as you can afford it. If money is not an issue for you then go to metropolitan. But my question is.. can you go to metropolitan? did you check with the university if they can accept your foundation course? As some universities don't accept certain foundation courses. and can you afford it? You will waste only 1 year. You do have 2 more years of finance (with Student Finance England) so you will have to pay by yourself the first year.

I already speak with someone who is dealing with this kind of staff! He offer me the Metropolitan, and he said it's ok, because my module was Business and Law.
Reply 7
I already speak with someone who is working with this kind of staff! He offer me the Metropolitan, and he said it's ok, because my module was Business and Law.
I already speak with someone who is working with this kind of staff! He offer me the Metropolitan, and he said it's ok, because my module was Business and Law.

Did you talk with the actual university? if not then email them. Email them all your qualifications and ask them. GCSES, A levels, your foundation course etc

The only issue is that the deadline was at 15th January 2020 so now you either gonna go through clearing or apply next year. or apply late?!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Did you talk with the actual university? if not then email them. Email them all your qualifications and ask them. GCSES, A levels, your foundation course etc

The only issue is that the deadline was at 15th January 2020 so now you either gonna go through clearing or apply next year. or apply late?!

I already apply today! It's taking 10 working days, but I don't want to study Law, because it's not for me. I just called the Student Loan office to ask them if I would like to cancel my application regarding student loan, because of switching University if that is ok, they said it's fine! They can cancel and I can apply when I start Uni in September! 🙂👍
I already apply today! It's taking 10 working days, but I don't want to study Law, because it's not for me. I just called the Student Loan office to ask them if I would like to cancel my application regarding student loan, because of switching University if that is ok, they said it's fine! They can cancel and I can apply when I start Uni in September! 🙂👍

that it's great!! What are you going to do if they don't accept you?
Reply 11

So, now on it's up to me! But I need to make sure I can leave the Anglia Ruskin without any difficulties and how I should do that!?? 😜
So, now on it's up to me! But I need to make sure I can leave the Anglia Ruskin without any difficulties and how I should do that!?? 😜

idk lol. What are you going to do if they don't accept you?!
Reply 13
idk lol. What are you going to do if they don't accept you?!

They do!! That was my first step to ask!! 😉🙂👍
They do!! That was my first step to ask!! 😉🙂👍

good luck then!

Hi Angyalka
Before you make the decision to change university I highly recommend you check what the LLB offers at ARU. Head to the module section of the website and you can see modules in Year 1 and Year 3 that are Criminal Law based - Foundations in Criminal Law in Year 1 and Criminal Litigation in Year 3. https://aru.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/law

It sounds like you've tried to speak to someone at ARU already, but I think the admissions team would be better suited for your enquiry or the student support in the Business & Law Faculty. If you email [email protected] or message me with who you spoke to and at which campus I can help you get this sorted. I am also going to directly message you our Deputy Head of Schools email so he can help. I recommend you contact him too!

Thanks

Megan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending